Tail discoloration on Chili Rasboras?

Karen B.

Greetings 

I was watching my Chili Rasboras when I noticed one of them seems to have a discoloration on its tail and seem much more bloated then the others. 
Any of you know what it could be?

I am about to go on holiday - is it safe to leave the fish in my community tank?

Please do not mind the water, I was feeding them chopped bloodworms.

Thank you!

EF52EC32-2E87-4C46-B33C-4A959B1BCB61.png

Might be an egg bound female or could be pineconing.

How Will I Know That My Female Chilli Rasbora Is Ready To Breed?

When a female Chilli Rasbora is ready to breed she becomes plump with eggs. Even though this fish is tiny the difference in the size of the female’s abdomen is easy to see. Her tummy becomes fuller and more rounded because of the eggs she is carrying.

Because the Chilli Rasbora is an egg scatterer the eggs are unfertilized at this point. So you can’t describe a female Chilli Rasbora as being pregnant. You can only say that she is in breeding mode and ready to mate.

What Does Chilli Rasbora Breeding Behaviour Look Like?

Once your female Chilli Rasbora is carrying eggs and ready to breed you’ll notice the males competing for her attention. The males will also develop a deeper colouring which makes it easier to distinguish between the two. And when a female is ready to mate the males become extremely lively. They start to show off to each other in competition for the females attention. The male Chilli Rasbora can also become territorial about the tank and the females that are ready to mate.

The good news is that injury due to ‘posturing’ is unlikely.

The Chilli Rasboras mating display means that you’re likely to notice a lot more activity than normal in your aquarium. Which, from a fish keepers point of view, is fascinating to watch. Particularly if you’re hoping your Chilli Rasboras will breed.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea did you ever see any discoloration on the tail (light coloration on the tail section of the body, not the tail rays)  when monitoring or treating your fish?

@Karen B. What do you feed this fish weekly?

The two relevant diseases I think would be columnaris or Dropsy given what you're seeing on the fish.

Edited by nabokovfan87