Are these fish acceptable for a 10 Gallon Tank?

m.grimmx

Following my last post, I would like some advice on which live animals to keep in a 10 gallon. I have many options, and I would prefer to get a little of all, but I also know that a 10 gallon might be too small for so many. Which ones should I get rid of, if they can't all live together? I'm aware of the snails reproductive issues, and I'm still on the fence about even getting any snails. These are our choices for a 10 gallon community tank. Any advice is appreciated!

FISH
Tetra
Fancy Molly
Danios
Angels
Opaline Gourami
Freshwater frogs
Freshwater shrimp
Freshwater Snails

On 12/21/2022 at 12:04 PM, m.grimmx said:

Fancy Molly
Danios
Angels
Opaline Gourami

I personally wouldn’t do any of these in a 10 gallon. Gonna be way too small long term for them. Unknown on the Opaline Gourami specifically as I don’t know how big they get, and the Danios depending on the type might be okay, but definitely not the Mollies and Angels. 

Not trying to be rude, but you either need to reconsider your fish, or reconsider the size of your tank. 

• Like 1

100% yes to snails, especially mystery snails. They look great and have fascinating behaviors. One or two will be perfect for a 10 gallon tank.  

Opaline Gourami and Angels get too big for a 10 gallon tank. Mollys also get pretty big but Platys look very similar and are small enough. 

African Dwarf Frogs are a lot of fun. They do like frozen foods like blood worms so make sure you can provide those. 

Here are a few Videos with some great ideas from Aquarium Co-op and affiliated YouTubers. 

• Like 2

Shrimp and snails would be fun in a 10 gallon! Snails are awesome for the tanks ecosystem. Just keep in mind that often the issue comes with access food and waste. The more the food’s left over the more the snails come over. You give them an inch they will take a mile lol. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately,  like a lot of people have pointed out, many of these fish will not work in a 10 gallon. The good news is tho that there are many similar fish that can! 

I see you are now interested in a powdered blue gourami!  Great choice!  That's one of my favorites!  Keep in mind that dwarf gourami are not always extremely healthy. They can live a long live or they can die out of nowhere. It can be a gamble with them but imo its a gamble worth taking for an amazing fish!  

I'm excited to hear what else you are considering to add with it!

On 12/21/2022 at 1:47 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

Unknown on the Opaline Gourami specifically as I don’t know how big they get

Opaline gourami are a similar size to gold gourami. Like 6 inches or so. I had one in my 29 for like 1 hour before I realized my 29 gallon was not large enough for one.