Heaters

rockfisher

Improve or review tank water circulation, add a second heater. Depending on tank size what this does is widen the zone of heat emanating through the water. This means you're less likely to have cold spots and more even heating. This also means that you're working on having a backup as well as the heater itself not working as hard.

For 3-4 foot long tanks this is a very common approach.

Please post a picture of the tank, heater position, as well as whatever filtration you're running so I can check out the flow path.

Lastly, what is the ambient temperature in the room at night?

I have more than one heater and in the pleco breeding tanks there are wave makers just to help with flow because the the L134 and L333 per get moving water. The room temperature are close to 78 most night because it’s so hot here the air needs to run. With the first world problem of not being comfortable at 80 degrees or 82 degrees in the home. So far the lowest temps I have had them breed is is at 82F/27C. Without heaters the tanks run about 2-3 cooler than the air temps. For the best breeding temps are closer to 85/30c. So the heaters have to run all the time to raise water temps 6-7 degrees. Would adding a third heater help. 

Edited by rockfisher

On 12/20/2022 at 4:30 PM, Rube_Goldfish said:

It sounds like this is more of a "project tank" than a display tank, so if appearances aren't important, you can cut pieces of Styrofoam to fit three (or even all four!) sides and tape them up to the glass as insulation.

Yes looks aren’t important they are breeding tanks. I have 220 out by the pool that has special cut 2in foam insulation board  for the tar times temps hit the 50’s out side. I think those are going up tomorrow because temps over Christmas are going to bd in the 40’s for 2-4 day over Christmas. Inside I could do the same thing. 

I’m mostly looking for the brands and types of heaters that people have used that last. I know that they are going to have a very short life span because they run all the time.  I have several off brands running not because of the price to replace. 

• Like 2

On 12/20/2022 at 5:35 PM, rockfisher said:

I’m mostly looking for the brands and types of heaters that people have used that last.

I've had good luck so far with Oase, Eheim, and most recently the ACO heater, but I've been in the hobby only about a year and a half so I have no first-hand idea about longevity. But while they've all work pretty accurately, the ACO heater has been the easiest to use because of the outside-of-the-tank temperature control.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2022 at 6:51 AM, rockfisher said:

I have more than one heater and in the pleco breeding tanks there are wave makers just to help with flow because the the L134 and L333 per get moving water. The room temperature are close to 78 most night because it’s so hot here the air needs to run. With the first world problem of not being comfortable at 80 degrees or 82 degrees in the home. So far the lowest temps I have had them breed is is at 82F/27C. Without heaters the tanks run about 2-3 cooler than the air temps. For the best breeding temps are closer to 85/30c. So the heaters have to run all the time to raise water temps 6-7 degrees. Would adding a third heater help. 

What is the size of the tank and what wattage (model number if you wish to share) are the heaters you're running?

My 75G I was running 2x 300W heaters to keep temps up. (also worked with 1x 200W, 1x 300W)
My 29G I am currently running 1x 200W heaters (two tanks, both with the same heater).

Second thing is to make sure you have a good lid on the tank, it really helps.

I run the Fluval E-Series heaters and basically won't run anything else.  I have an ACO heater for QT tank / smaller tanks.

Edited by nabokovfan87

i like and have the best luck with the Eheim Jagger and the Aquarium CoOp Heaters ,,  with the Inkbird controller  i used the Eheim Jagger for years they last long time for me running 24/7 specially winter months 

i recently  been using the ACO Heaters  the past 6-8 months they have not been out long i really like them so far they are small and you can hide them easy and i have had no problems so far 

On 12/20/2022 at 8:22 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

What is the size of the tank and what wattage (model number if you wish to share) are the heaters you're running?

My 75G I was running 2x 300W heaters to keep temps up. (also worked with 1x 200W, 1x 300W)
My 29G I am currently running 1x 200W heaters (two tanks, both with the same heater).

Second thing is to make sure you have a good lid on the tank, it really helps.

I run the Fluval E-Series heaters and basically won't run anything else.  I have an ACO heater for QT tank / smaller tanks.

I have two 300 watt heaters along with the wave maker and an Hob to keep continuous flow. I do have good custom made lids to keep heat in. 

On 12/20/2022 at 8:32 PM, Bev C said:

i like and have the best luck with the Eheim Jagger and the Aquarium CoOp Heaters ,,  with the Inkbird controller  i used the Eheim Jagger for years they last long time for me running 24/7 specially winter months 

I agree. The Eheim Jaggers seem to run forever. However, I find that their 'calibration' is hit or miss and well. A lot of mine are inaccurate in terms of what the dial says, and the calibration seems impossible to set given how far off they are (unless I'm doing something wrong).

However, I still run them because of I have found them to run forever.  I just dial them to the temp I want (ignoring what the dial says, if needed), then back them up with an Inkbird.

• Like 3

@tolstoy21 i agree the calibration can be off a bit off if you do not use a controller   or thermometer i could not get it just right either but it is work horse and runs for years my first one lasted 5 years and it ran 24/7 

but . if you use a inkbird controller it is easy to set your temperature  the controller sets the temperature instead of heater i will never have heater without the controller   in the past   my first heater  not a Ehiem. i fried  my whole tank  i love the inkbird aquarium controller 

..but if you do not have a controller  i always test the heater in bucket first  before adding to the tank and if the Ehiem is off a bit i just adjust and set it with a thermometer  till i get the temp i want  hope that made since 

usually i do not reset my temperature after i set it the first time all 3  of my tanks are set the same temperature 

Edited by Bev C
  • Like 1

On 12/21/2022 at 10:39 AM, Bev C said:

..but if you do not have a controller  i always test the heater in bucket first  before adding to the tank and if the Ehiem is off a bit i just adjust and set it with a thermometer  till i get the temp i want  hope that made since 

I do the same thing with the Ehiems. I dial them into the temp I want in a bucket first, then hook them up to an Inkbird and set the desired temp in again there as my failsafe.  If I notice the Inkbird never getting to the desired temp according to it's probe, I'll tweak the Eheim a bit.

I also have some that are at, or surpassed, the 5 year point. But these have been in and out of service. Only maybe 2 have been running non-stop.

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 1

the only thing i do not like the Ehiem is the size i have 55 gallon  i know 2 heaters are best to use but personally i only like one heater in the tank and  I  buy one size bigger then i need    the Ehiem it takes allot of space in tank 

I tried the Aquarium Coop heater when it came out i tried it just because of the design it was smaller and easier to hide but i feel in love with it  I would rebuy the ACO heater  it is working very well and with the controller   i still have and use my Ehiem for backup and water  change water 

i always keep backup of filters, sponge  filters and heaters and filter media  on hand from my experience things go bad  or stop working when a store is not handy  or close by ,, i mostly do my fish supply buying online

Edited by Bev C
  • Like 1

On 12/21/2022 at 7:03 AM, rockfisher said:

I have two 300 watt heaters along with the wave maker and an Hob to keep continuous flow. I do have good custom made lids to keep heat in. 

I am guessing that something isn't working right.

In my situation I am running +15-20 degrees over ambient and one 300W heater on a 75G is sufficient. It does run all day, but it is sufficient to keep the tank warm. (2x200W doesn't struggle as much)

In your case you have the wattage to pull that off. You have lids. You have circulation. Something is causing a dramatic drop in temp or the heaters just aren't working.  I would run a bucket test and verify each one is working properly.

Likely, you have a calibration issue or the heater itself is on, but dead.

On 12/21/2022 at 11:23 AM, Bev C said:

the only thing i do not like the Ehiem is the size i have 55 gallon  i know 2 heaters are best to use but personally i only like one heater in the tank and  I  buy one size bigger then i need    the Ehiem it takes allot of space in tank 

I tried the Aquarium Coop heater when it came out i tried it just because of the design it was smaller and easier to hide but i feel in love with it  I would rebuy the ACO heater  it is working very well and with the controller   i still have and use my Ehiem for backup and water  change water 

i always keep backup of filters, sponge  filters and heaters and filter media  on hand from my experience things go bad  or stop working when a store is not handy  or close by ,, i mostly do my fish supply buying online

That sort of how I got where I am I have extras of lots of stuff wit 20+ tanks. The cheap heap cycle started because I kept inexpensive not cheap heater. I know they do not last as long but thery were bought to be back ups. Then I just started going inexpensive and they work for awhile and for what I pay I believe it’s not bad but it’s not what I want.