Best practices for storing of unused aquariums

Pete H

Clean and allow to dry, wrap anything that is being stored with it (filters, lights, decor ext) and placer on the bottom of tank so they can't damage the tank if they shift. I put the lid inside as well so nothing can be accidently stacked on it. Then try and put it somewhere where it will not get knocked and damaged.

If you are storing somewhere where it will get cold  just remember to let it warn up slowly before reusing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sort of depends on "where" then I would figure out how. Indoors, inside the house is best. Mine sits on the stand, I have the lids on, light on top, the filters and stuff inside, heaters are in my fish totes and not the tank. I have a big towel on top to keep bugs and stuff out, let air pass without condensation.  One thing you'll want to keep in mind is people walking by it around and avoiding scratches on the stand and glass. 

Usually leads to sitting in the garage and if that was the case (either situation) then I'd wrap it if the tank was expensive or higher quality with blankets and such.

If you're stacking smaller tanks then I would try to avoid more than 3 tall if you can, try to find some method for stopping sliding and scratches.

Really good tips and tricks and advice above from everyone.

• Thanks 1