Gobies

Cinnebuns

I don't hear people talk about gobies too much. I think maybe technically a scarlet badis is a goby maybe?  Not 100% on that. I have a comment and then some questions about them and just kinda in general wanna discuss them as I don't see them as a topic often. 

So the comment is this:

Does anyone else think they look like an evolutionary step stone species between water and land animal?  To me they kinda look like they are starting to develop legs. It's 100% what I would envision the first land animals to look like. 

Now for the questions:

Why aren't they talked about much?  Am I missing something?  Are they hard to care for?  Not fun?  Maybe not flashy enough?  

I am having a growing bottom feeder problem, but I would love to add to it!  Funny enough, even with my bottom feeder problem in my main tank, I have a 20 gallon I'm trying to fill with a lack of bottom feeder ideas that I'm confident in. Should I consider gobies?  It's a 20T that will house a few female guppies and pseudomugil furcata and POSSIBLY threadfin rainbows too. 

What types of gobies have you had and what are your experiences?  What are the positives and negatives to them?

Gobies. Gobies. Gobies. Goblins. Gobies. 

Did anyone catch that?

• Like 2

I suppose it all depends on what you mean by "goby".  In broader definitions using the order Gobiiformes, peacock gudgeons (Tateurndina ocellicauda) and mudskippers (subfamily Oxudercinae) are both gobies.  In terms of "true gobies" though, in the family Gobiidae, despite being highly species rich (something like north of 2,000 if I recall correctly) most of them are marine species, and the FW representatives are often drab.  I think that is why we don't see more of them in the hobby.

I love gobies though!  I keep and breed the Australian desert goby (Chlamydogobius eremius) which is a true goby, and a true FW species.  I think that specie should be more common in the hobby.  They are small, not particularly aggressive, and the males are beautiful!  I have had a larger FW species of Rhinogobius before, very similar to the ones @Biotope Biologist has now, and they were really cool, but I just never clicked with them the way I did the Ozzy species I still have.

How's that for a start of "Goby Talk: ACO edition"? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I have Rhinogobius filamentosus in my creek setup as @OnlyGenusCaps stated. I love mine. They are like little puppy dogs and with the addition of more space and more hides they have really gotten comfortable with me and people in general.

612C8CB0-41FB-4D2C-B3F9-7F1A0B8BA236.jpeg.3c62064fbf326bf9fad44e5fdc80d8c2.jpeg

Although I must say yes they are quite drab. When displaying for eachother they have similar features to mudskippers. Namely bright blue flecks on the dorsal fin, with dorsal ray 2 being higher than the rest. But that’s about it. 

Mine also have the nearly fused pectoral fins that form a sort of suction cup or “legs.” I trust in an actual stream environment this modification is extremely useful but those conditions are hard to replicate in the home aquaria.

Care wise they are pretty easy. Alot of the ones you see in the trade hail from  indopacific streams so they accordingly like higher kH and gH. Some of them are algae eaters, such as Stiphodon, so a mature tank is required. But I’d argue water quality for any stream fish is of the utmost importance. I made sure my tank was aged well before I put fish in and could handle any bioloads. Emergent plants are very useful for this.

As for your tank setup maybe bumblee gobies? Probably the most striking and common goby out there.  With your lineup too you could add some marine salt and go brackish if you so desire. All listed fish don’t mind a little salt.

Edited by Biotope Biologist
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 12/17/2022 at 2:04 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

peacock gudgeons

Oh THATS what I was thinking of NOT scarlet badis. I knew that sounded wrong at the time but I couldn't think of the right one lol. 

I suppose it all depends on what you mean by "goby".  In broader

I'm thinking something like this:

New-Cobalt-Blue-Goby-11.jpg.905bc4e822dd04695a7bc3214537fb8d.jpg

I keep and breed the Australian desert goby

Oh no!  You triggered my breeding addiction trap!  How hard/easy are they to breed?  

not particularly aggressive

This is the part I hear mixed reviews on. MOST people say they are peaceful but there are a few that say they aren't. 

How's that for a start of "Goby Talk: ACO edition"? 

Amazing!  I love it!

• Thanks 1

On 12/17/2022 at 2:35 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

Mine also have the nearly fused pectoral fins that form a sort of suction cup or “legs.”

This is what I mean by it looks to me like a transition species from water animal to land. Like it's developing legs!

like higher kH and gH

My tap has bolts coming out of it so I think I qualify. 

so a mature tank is required. But I’d argue water quality for any stream fish is of the utmost importance. I made sure my tank was aged well before I put fish in and could handle any bioloads. Emergent plants are very useful for this.

The tank I'm considering them for has been set up for about 7 to 8 months. It is however in the process of a substrate change which may effect how seasoned it is considering how much the substrate is a factor in this. 

With your lineup too you could add some marine salt and go brackish if you so desire. All listed fish don’t mind a little salt.

Oh interesting observation!  Tbh, bow appreciated some salt

We got a little Stiphodon sp. from our LFS. Came in with SAEs. Not sure on it’s species…

2F704C08-EBB9-4F65-971F-BB5E2B45FCA8.jpeg.05e5a9e25096844a75bddfe5fa8a5cbf.jpeg

Behaviorwise, it reminds me of my Darters (NANF).

F2143CB6-1256-49C7-A7CE-4A741AC9B9A8.jpeg.68312a66ff71a0df30233a83ef5ccdc4.jpeg

Awhile ago, I came across this channel. These gobys will make you want to be rid of everything else you keep…

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Love 2

I made sure my tank was aged well before I put fish in and could handle any bioloads.

Yes, you did an awesome cycle type.  In SW it is called "biome cycling", and it's all the rage.  Actually, I have some thoughts on this for FW.  I'll DM you soon.

On 12/17/2022 at 3:38 PM, Cinnebuns said:

How hard/easy are they to breed?

I'd say solidly medium.  I have a friend breeding them in tubs in the summer, but that doesn't work for me (or anyone else I know).  For me I have to pull the eggs, mimic the paternal water flow across them, then feed tiny fry that hide among sand grains.  Doable.  Just takes a bit of work and planning.

On 12/17/2022 at 3:47 PM, Cinnebuns said:

This is what I mean by it looks to me like a transition species from water animal to land. Like it's developing legs!

Then you will love the epaulette shark!!!  A species I would love to breed one day...

On 12/17/2022 at 4:06 PM, Fish Folk said:

Awhile ago, I came across this channel. These gobys will make you want to be rid of everything else you keep…

How?  How, do you always know the coolest looking fish in any group, sir?!  How?!  🤨  I'm off.  I have some research to do about a fi...  Something.

• Haha 2

On 12/18/2022 at 7:11 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Have those been bred?  I'd be into trying if I knew I was getting this species.  Brackish, not so much.

I remember finding someone on the net that claimed to have bred them. I wasn't prepared to try at the time. Sometimes they go by "sumatran bumblebee goby". They're one of my favorites. This old pic cracks me up.

IMG_20201023_202945.jpg.d44002d4d519a5b5d0e03ea8ba2a4c5f.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 2