Thoughts on Stocking List for My Ten Gallon

EnderRen

On 12/16/2022 at 9:36 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Hi @EnderRen! I think it looks good. As long as your tank is well planted and you have decent filtration that combo should work just fine! Embers are super small. You could also consider Bumble Bee or Pygmy Cories. 

I intend to plant my aquarium, I don't know what plants yet that is something I have to research. The filter I have is the Fluval aquaclear 5-20 gal. Do you think that would work?

It should work. I usually double filter my tanks. I have notoriously "overstocked" (per the internet) tanks- so I either run 2x sponge or an HOB and a sponge. Part of that is because my sponges are run by a lithium battery backed airpump so if my power goes out the spong filter still runs- which to me is important when you "overstock". 

What's your experience level @EnderRen? Have you run planted tanks before? If so what kind of plants have you had? I like low tech so I love lots of Anubias (all kinds, Barteri being tallest, Nana being smaller), Java fern (narrow leaf and windelov). They are easy (but slow) growers and don't need to be planted, only glued to hardscape or suction cupped to the tank to grow. 

On 12/16/2022 at 9:43 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

It should work. I usually double filter my tanks. I have notoriously "overstocked" (per the internet) tanks- so I either run 2x sponge or an HOB and a sponge. Part of that is because my sponges are run by a lithium battery backed airpump so if my power goes out the spong filter still runs- which to me is important when you "overstock". 

What's your experience level @EnderRen? Have you run planted tanks before? If so what kind of plants have you had? I like low tech so I love lots of Anubias (all kinds, Barteri being tallest, Nana being smaller), Java fern (narrow leaf and windelov). They are easy (but slow) growers and don't need to be planted, only glued to hardscape or suction cupped to the tank to grow. 

This is my first ever aquarium! Some of the ideas for plants I had was amazon swords in the back with some anubius and javamoss, and some red root floaters to finish the tank off. I think adding a sponge filter is a great idea, I will probably end up doing that later though. I have spent enough money for now on tank stuff. It still has to come in and get cycled

Oh well congrats @EnderRen! Go slow, and as you said make sure you wait until the tank is cycled- I do still recommend researching "fish- in" cycling because sometimes IME you cycle a tank, add fish and then it has a wobble. Just good to be prepared!

Amazon swords can get HUGE in a 10 gallon they can quickly overwhelm the tank. I would HIGHLY recommend Amazon Compacta for a 10 gallon. I have a "regular" amazon in my 20 High tank and it reaches the top of my tank and curls over at times. 

Your plant choices are sound - I still would highly recommend Java Ferns. 

Oh, and since you plan on keeping a Betta, heating the tank is absolutely necessary (80 is optimal)- I know Embers can take the heat but did you make sure the Cory you've chosen can? I don't keep Cory but from what I remember most prefer cooler waters. Very important to make sure they can all take the same water parameters- sometimes that means we have to give up a fish species. 

On 12/16/2022 at 9:55 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Oh well congrats @EnderRen! Go slow, and as you said make sure you wait until the tank is cycled- I do still recommend researching "fish- in" cycling because sometimes IME you cycle a tank, add fish and then it has a wobble. Just good to be prepared!

Amazon swords can get HUGE in a 10 gallon they can quickly overwhelm the tank. I would HIGHLY recommend Amazon Compacta for a 10 gallon. I have a "regular" amazon in my 20 High tank and it reaches the top of my tank and curls over at times. 

Your plant choices are sound - I still would highly recommend Java Ferns. 

Oh, and since you plan on keeping a Betta, heating the tank is absolutely necessary (80 is optimal)- I know Embers can take the heat but did you make sure the Cory you've chosen can? I don't keep Cory but from what I remember most prefer cooler waters. Very important to make sure they can all take the same water parameters- sometimes that means we have to give up a fish species. 

I have purchased a water heater already, so that is good. I plan on keeping my tank at about 78 degrees which is on the higher end for the cory (but not unbearable), and is good for the betta and tetra. Should I do java ferns instead of amazon swords?

Plants are always fun. In my 10 gallon, I have anubias nana petite, anubias barteri, crypt wenditi green, crypt tropica, jungle val (just added), an amazon sword, and a dwarf aquarium lily.  There are 6 white cloud mountain minnows, a few pygmy corys, one nerite, and pest snails.

I run a tidal 35 for filtration and a heater to keep the water at 74 degrees for the pygmy corys.

Chili rasboras might be another good option for your tank.

On 12/16/2022 at 10:23 AM, sairving said:

Plants are always fun. In my 10 gallon, I have anubias nana petite, anubias barteri, crypt wenditi green, crypt tropica, jungle val (just added), an amazon sword, and a dwarf aquarium lily.  There are 6 white cloud mountain minnows, a few pygmy corys, one nerite, and pest snails.

I run a tidal 35 for filtration and a heater to keep the water at 74 degrees for the pygmy corys.

Chili rasboras might be another good option for your tank.

chili rasboras you say? Instead of the tetras?

On 12/16/2022 at 10:36 AM, EnderRen said:

I will put the betta in last (probably a koi betta, but we will see), and if it doesn't work I would put him in another tank

Even if aggression isn’t an issue with you’re Betta, keep an eye on his food intake. I had a Betta in my 29g community tank who got along great with the rest of the gang (16 Cardinal Tetra, 6 Panda Corydoras and a few shrimp and snails), but the problem was he gorged himself when I fed the community to the point he  caused himself issues and had to be removed to his own 5g tank so that I could control his food. Such a glutton, that one!

• Like 1

On 12/16/2022 at 8:47 PM, FLFishChik said:

Even if aggression isn’t an issue with you’re Betta, keep an eye on his food intake. I had a Betta in my 29g community tank who got along great with the rest of the gang (16 Cardinal Tetra, 6 Panda Corydoras and a few shrimp and snails), but the problem was he gorged himself when I fed the community to the point he  caused himself issues and had to be removed to his own 5g tank so that I could control his food. Such a glutton, that one!

Okay, good to know! I will definitely look out for that!

• Like 1