How to remove chloramines from tap water?

David D

• Administrators

Catalytic Carbon filters can remove chloramine (where activated carbon will not do a good enough job). Every time that I have looked into these, the systems are large, expensive, and more complex than regular activated carbon filters. With that being said, if you have the space and resources, and if you are doing an auto water change system, it is worth looking in to.

I would love to see your setup and results if you go this route. 

On 12/15/2022 at 3:33 PM, David D said:

Has anyone tried to use a Catalytic Carbon filter to remove chloramines from city tap water?, thats what a Google search suggests, should remove 80-90% of chloramines they said, wondering if its worth the investment

What did you have in mind? Are you looking for something you can plumb into a DIY water change system? If so, what volume of water do you plan on running through it on a daily basis?

I have no experience with this type of carbon, but I have rigged up a number of filters for my auto water change system that pretty much just utilize different filter media (mostly DI resin) in Big Blue filter housings.

I was looking to put a filter in line from the garden hose, mounting a filter in some type of holder, then on to tanks, or lg trash can I fill and treat before pumping into tanks, water changes use about 90-100 gallons a change, and I change the water about once a month, I only have 9 tanks between three rooms, so a water change system would be overkill at this point i believe

• Administrators
On 12/15/2022 at 1:49 PM, David D said:

I was looking to put a filter in line from the garden hose, mounting a filter in some type of holder, then on to tanks, or lg trash can I fill and treat before pumping into tanks, water changes use about 90-100 gallons a change, and I change the water about once a month, I only have 9 tanks between three rooms, so a water change system would be overkill at this point i believe

From what I have seen, the in-line type filters are not robust enough (for aquarium fish at least). The ones that work are large tank-type filters that are like 4' tall and setup more like RO units. Still, if you find one that works like this, please share!