Ideas for a 4' tank

flyingcow

So I'm contemplating adding a 4' tank to the party next year. It'll be a slow build since I need to dial in my water system in the basement to be able to handle water changes in a) a third tank and b) a big 3rd tank. So this winter will see the addition of a basin sink in the basement, and some expansion to my RO system and water storage. But then... what do y'all think? I have 2 places in the living room that could hold a 4' tank. Both are on outside walls and one spans across the joists, so I could probably go as big as a 90 in that spot. The other spot, I might stick to 75 or smaller. 

A few things I've had on my mind:

1) a 75 gallon Angelfish/Bolivian Ram/Rummynose tank... maybe Tapajos instead of rams? but I feel like they would be better off in a 6' tank.

2) a 90 gallon Discus/GBR/Pleco/Hatchetfish moderately planted tank (but I'm not 100% sure I'm ready for that one yet. This just feels hard.)

3) a 60 breeder of... something? Huge freakin school of something little? I'd do 100 pygmy corys, but then I'd have to explain to visitors that no, it's not just a tank with plants, there really are fish in there. It's a really cool size!

What do y'all think? I'd probably keep this tank low tech. Planting levels would depend on stocking decisions.

Edited by flyingcow
  • Like 1

On 12/15/2022 at 2:09 PM, flyingcow said:

So I'm contemplating adding a 4' tank to the party next year. It'll be a slow build since I need to dial in my water system in the basement to be able to handle water changes in a) a third tank and b) a big 3rd tank. So this winter will see the addition of a basin sink in the basement, and some expansion to my RO system and water storage. But then... what do y'all think? I have 2 places in the living room that could hold a 4' tank. Both are on outside walls and one spans across the joists, so I could probably go as big as a 90 in that spot. The other spot, I might stick to 75 or smaller. 

A few things I've had on my mind:

1) a 75 gallon Angelfish/Bolivian Ram/Rummynose tank... maybe Tapajos instead of rams? but I feel like they would be better off in a 6' tank.

2) a 90 gallon Discus/GBR/Pleco/Hatchetfish moderately planted tank (but I'm not 100% sure I'm ready for that one yet. This just feels hard.)

3) a 60 breeder of... something? Huge freakin school of something little? I'd do 100 pygmy corys, but then I'd have to explain to visitors that no, it's not just a tank with plants, there really are fish in there. It's a really cool size!

What do y'all think? I'd probably keep this tank low tech. Planting levels would depend on stocking decisions.

I have discus in my 75, and its going fairly well! I feel like there are a lot of people who say keeping discus is exceptionally hard.. but in my experience, albeit limited, it isn't as difficult as folks say. They can be finnicky, but I treat it pretty much the same as my goldfish minus plants and high temp and its going great. Theyre really beautiful and cool to look at. They are very slow moving (unless you spook them, which happens a lot), so if you want any kind of energy in the tank you could have some dither fish like cardinals. 

My vote is for the discus tank, especially if you can get huge ones for that 90gal! Though.... several hundred tetras in literally any size tank would look incredible too... DECISIONS!! 😄 

• Like 1

I think I’d go with either option 1 or 3. 1 would look incredible with a big group of Bolivians and angels. I’ve done that combo before and it looked awesome!

3 would be really interesting Ive always wanted to see what a group of 100+ Pygmy corys would look like haha! Could also add another large school of something and make it densely planted. 

• Like 1

On 12/15/2022 at 2:42 PM, Jurrian Hering said:

I think I’d go with either option 1 or 3. 1 would look incredible with a big group of Bolivians and angels. I’ve done that combo before and it looked awesome!

3 would be really interesting Ive always wanted to see what a group of 100+ Pygmy corys would look like haha! Could also add another large school of something and make it densely planted. 

I currently have 7 Pygmys and 8 Ember Tetras in a 10 gallon (who'da thunk that many fish in a 10 would work?). I swear I see, at most, 2 fish at any given time! They are so tiny and hide so well!

On 12/15/2022 at 2:40 PM, EVoyager31 said:

I have discus in my 75, and its going fairly well! I feel like there are a lot of people who say keeping discus is exceptionally hard.. but in my experience, albeit limited, it isn't as difficult as folks say. They can be finnicky, but I treat it pretty much the same as my goldfish minus plants and high temp and its going great. Theyre really beautiful and cool to look at. They are very slow moving (unless you spook them, which happens a lot), so if you want any kind of energy in the tank you could have some dither fish like cardinals. 

My vote is for the discus tank, especially if you can get huge ones for that 90gal! Though.... several hundred tetras in literally any size tank would look incredible too... DECISIONS!! 😄 

How often are your water changes? That's my biggest concern with discus.

On 12/15/2022 at 2:46 PM, flyingcow said:

I currently have 7 Pygmys and 8 Ember Tetras in a 10 gallon (who'da thunk that many fish in a 10 would work?). I swear I see, at most, 2 fish at any given time! They are so tiny and hide so well!

How often are your water changes? That's my biggest concern with discus.

So far I have been changing once a week, around 50%. Though I have a ton of plants, two canisters, and my discus are not full grown yet. Between 2.5-3" long on 6 of them. I expect I will need to change more often once they grow more and their bioload increases.. but the python makes the changes fairly easy. 🙂 

• Like 1

On 12/15/2022 at 3:15 PM, EVoyager31 said:

So far I have been changing once a week, around 50%. Though I have a ton of plants, two canisters, and my discus are not full grown yet. Between 2.5-3" long on 6 of them. I expect I will need to change more often once they grow more and their bioload increases.. but the python makes the changes fairly easy. 🙂 

yeah, that's my concern. It makes travel very difficult. I don't travel too much, but it does happen, and I doubt my wife will be willing to take on a water change if I'm gone!