Water Chemistry and Porcupine Scales

FyaNyan

I went through three doses of kanaplex, every other day, with no positive results. I am going to do a 100% water change today to get all the meds out of the water. Should I add more aquarium salt? I am currently at 1 tbs per 10 gallons.

Should I order different medication and try that?

On 12/23/2022 at 9:43 AM, FyaNyan said:

I went through three doses of kanaplex, every other day, with no positive results. I am going to do a 100% water change today to get all the meds out of the water. Should I add more aquarium salt? I am currently at 1 tbs per 10 gallons.

Should I order different medication and try that?

Yes, I would add salt back into the tank at least a 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons.  If there are still wispy bits coming off the fish, then yes,I would try Maracyn-2 and put it in the food.

On 12/24/2022 at 2:39 AM, Odd Duck said:

Yes, I would add salt back into the tank at least a 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons.  If there are still wispy bits coming off the fish, then yes,I would try Maracyn-2 and put it in the food.

I will order some medicine, if not for this fish, for future use. Sadly Ludwig is swimming upside down now and isn’t moving much. Still alive, but on the down. Not sure what to do.

• Sad 2

On 12/24/2022 at 6:19 PM, Colu said:

Sorry he not doing well You could lower the water level so it's easy for him keep up right and increase the level of salt to 1 table for 5 gallons at this point it's just a case of wait and see 

Agree with @Colu.  You might also try a higher fiber food.  This is a situation where green peas might actually help on fish that normally eat vegetation.

Ludwig did not make it. He died today. I’m still not exactly sure what went wrong, but I feel I was not speedy enough to catch/correct whatever was wrong. That makes me sad. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions and answers to my questions.

I do plan on getting a new goldfish, but before I do that, I want to order the medications we talked about in this thread. I want to do the best I can for future fish.

Edited by FyaNyan
  • Sad 1