Aragonite and KH

smm333

I have been struggling with water parameters in my platy tank. My gh is at 125.3ppm which is an improvement, but my kh is only 17.9ppm. I added a small amount of aragonite yesterday- I filled 2 glass yogurt jars with it and planted some stem plants in them. I tested the water this morning and got the 17.9 result. I don't want to add too much at once, but I'm getting worried. One platy is spending more time by the sponge filter

Does anyone know if a layer of aragonite as a substrate would raise parameters too high or too quick? It is a 15 gallon tank. 

Thanks for any help!

• Administrators

Adding aragonite can raise your kH, but it usually takes awhile for you to start seeing a change (several days - couple of weeks sometimes). This should also answer your question about it raising parameters too quickly (it doesn't, as it takes time to dissolve - based on the acid released in the bacterial nitrification process). 

I use it to help bring up the kh in all of my tanks. I have very high gh but 0 kh out of the tap. So what I found works best for me is some mixed in with my gravel substrate. Then I add a some to a filter media bag and put it in my hob filters for the tanks that have them. For a 29 gal I have 1lbs in the hob filter and about another 2lbs mixed with the substrate. In 10 gal tanks I use 1/2lbs in the filter and 1lbs mixed with the gravel. Haven't had to really add any to them since don't kg this. So it does dissolve slowly for the most part 

On 12/12/2022 at 1:23 PM, Zenzo said:

Adding aragonite can raise your kH, but it usually takes awhile for you to start seeing a change (several days - couple of weeks sometimes). This should also answer your question about it raising parameters too quickly (it doesn't, as it takes time to dissolve - based on the acid released in the bacterial nitrification process). 

Thank you! I don't want to shock the poor platies, but I don't want them struggling.

On 12/12/2022 at 1:47 PM, TeeJay said:

I use it to help bring up the kh in all of my tanks. I have very high gh but 0 kh out of the tap. So what I found works best for me is some mixed in with my gravel substrate. Then I add a some to a filter media bag and put it in my hob filters for the tanks that have them. For a 29 gal I have 1lbs in the hob filter and about another 2lbs mixed with the substrate. In 10 gal tanks I use 1/2lbs in the filter and 1lbs mixed with the gravel. Haven't had to really add any to them since don't kg this. So it does dissolve slowly for the most part 

I will add some more as a substrate. The tank is currently bare bottom because I like the pebbly glass bottom, but I am more concerned with my platies health. It's a nice looking sand at least! 

• Like 1

On 12/12/2022 at 8:09 PM, smm333 said:

Thank you! I don't want to shock the poor platies, but I don't want them struggling.

I will add some more as a substrate. The tank is currently bare bottom because I like the pebbly glass bottom, but I am more concerned with my platies health. It's a nice looking sand at least! 

Yes just put in what you feel comfortable with at first give it a couple of weeks. Then retest your kh to see where it's add. Then you can add more accordingly to where you want your kh to be.

• Thanks 1

On 12/12/2022 at 12:03 PM, smm333 said:

Does anyone know if a layer of aragonite as a substrate would raise parameters too high or too quick? It is a 15 gallon tank. 

I believe the store page or blog article mentions 1 lb of CC per 10 gallons.  I think 2 lbs or so is probably good for you because you're already starting at a lower PH/KH and you have a lot of buffer to make up for.  (lower PH means it dissolves a bit easier than if it was higher).   I was at 40 ppm KH and CC took me to about 50, but I really struggled to get it dissolved without having it as the substrate itself.  Something to keep in mind and that's why it's going to be the "easiest" way.  Using CC over something like a buffer is going to be a lot slower to raise parameter, will keep the tank more stable longer term.

Keep in mind, raising KH will raise your PH also.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1