Help with white stuff on a puffer

Marcisaninja

Looks like Epistylis it feed's off gram negative bacteria on the skin of your fish and spreads more quickly at higher temperatures the most effective treatment is a combination of kanaplex in food and aquarium salt if he won't take the medicated food you can dose the tank but it's less effective @Marcisaninja

IMG_20220714_201326.jpg

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks very similar in terms of the fish's slimecoat going into overdrive. 

From another website that might be helpful for future knowledge. If someone is trying to ID this.

Epistylis also commonly appears on/around the eyes, which is an uncommon trait for Ich.

I do see the spots on the puffer eyes so I think Colu is 100% right.  

Wishing you both the best in treatment.

cc @rockfisher

• Like 1

On 12/11/2022 at 1:04 AM, Marcisaninja said:

Here's how he looks today.  I have polyguard and kanaplex.  I couldn't find Focus anywhere locally today.

1111.jpg

222222.jpg

You don't have to use focus it does bind more of the medication to food  I would start treating with kanaplex straight away 

• Like 2

On 12/12/2022 at 1:39 AM, Marcisaninja said:

Looks like he's getting worse instead of better. All the catfish in the tank have died. 

PXL_20221212_012938576.jpg

Has he been accepting the medicated food if he has then what I would do is keep feeding him kanaplex in food and treat the tank with jungle fungus clear fizz tab's containing nitrofurazone the combination of the two are very effective 

On 12/12/2022 at 2:52 AM, Marcisaninja said:

He won't eat anything.  I added a few snails just to see if he would go after them and he won't move.

As he's not eating I would recommend treating with a combination of kanaplex and Jungle fungus clear fizz tab's containing nitrofurazone following this treatment plan as epistylis feed's off the gram negative bacteria These medication effectively remove there food source @Marcisaninja

IMG_20220714_201545.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 12/13/2022 at 1:34 AM, Marcisaninja said:

Here he is today.  Doesn't look any different.  He won't eat.  I was able to get some Tetra Fungus Guard locally.

dddddddd.jpg

You can use the tetras fungus Guard with kanaplex they have the same active ingredients as jungle fungus clear fizz tab's and the same amount of nitrofurazone you could try soaking his food in seachems garlic guard to help simulate his appetite 

Edited by Colu