Sick pea puffer during med trio treatment

memorywrangler

I have 10 pea puffers in quarantine and i started the med trio yesterday.  As usual the water clouded.

9 of the puffers look fine,  but one is listless, lying dead-looking on the bottom or swimming in poorly controlled circles.  There are no visible symptoms.  Water parameters are fine so far. 

Suggestions?  Take it out of the tank and put it in clean water?  Feed it?  Wait and see?

Sorry for the terrible picture.  They are in a tub and the water’a cloudy.41D931A3-8CBE-45C4-B2A9-6ED875E40574.jpeg.54e4cadee7e2a18c3d812db2375a478c.jpeg

This has not gone well 😞

The first one died, followed by 3 more over the night and a fourth is looking ill as well.  The remaining 5 are looking ok at the moment.

The fish died within the health guarantee period from the LFS, but they will only do replacements, so I'll end up with more fish from the same batch.  I'm obviously concerned for the. m as well.

I'm pretty unsure about what to do.  It seems like the best course is a couple massive water changes, delay the med trio for a while and get them eating/healthy and then try again?  Maybe doing the meds serially?

On 12/5/2022 at 6:11 PM, memorywrangler said:

This has not gone well 😞

The first one died, followed by 3 more over the night and a fourth is looking ill as well.  The remaining 5 are looking ok at the moment.

The fish died within the health guarantee period from the LFS, but they will only do replacements, so I'll end up with more fish from the same batch.  I'm obviously concerned for the. m as well.

I'm pretty unsure about what to do.  It seems like the best course is a couple massive water changes, delay the med trio for a while and get them eating/healthy and then try again?  Maybe doing the meds serially?

With what going on i would water change out the medication monitor them for a week make sure there eating ok and putting on weight as most puffer are wild caught I would follow up with paracleanse doing two course of paracleanse two weeks a part to deal any potential parasites I would also add an extra air stone and a small amount of aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 5 gallons that will aid Gill function and add essential electrolytes 

On 12/5/2022 at 6:31 PM, memorywrangler said:

Thanks, that's helpful.

According the store, these are farm-raised in Indonesia, but I was going to deworm them anyway.  Do you think I should do that before the med trio stuff?

I have the air stone running, but I hadn't considered salt.

I don't typically treat fish in quarantine unless they are showing any symptoms I usually just monitor for 4 weeks if they are wild caught or predominantly eat live foods then I would treat them for parasites as snails are the intermediate host of a number of parasites 

Edited by Colu

ok.  Well the LFS gave me 3 new fish and a discount on the other two (which I thought was reasonably fair), so I'm back to 10.  They suggested by gH was too high (22).  Their tanks are at 14.  2 50% water changes partially with RO water and I'm at 14 as well.   We'll see how it goes...

One of the first batch that was being shy seems to have perked up a bit, so maybe that's a good sign.

Edited by memorywrangler
  • Like 1