Rainbow Nerms Unite

E1662522-7073-4440-A50D-E5C557271551.gif.013e61ce60f9fb10eb4cdb7af29cf791.gif

Similar to the Panda Cory Appreciation Society I want to start a place for Rainbowfish Nerms to let their freak fish fly. Hopefully this can be said place/thread. 

I started my journey with Rainbows in graduate school 2003 or so. My girlfriend at the time had a 20 g with Dwarf Praecox. They were gorgeous and I had to have some of my own. I bought a 48 (or was it 42?) g bow front and got those Praecox as well as boesmani and Milleniun Reds. It was a great tank along with a group of danios it was so entertaining. 

My reintroduction to the hobby in 2020 saw me get a group of Pseudomugil luminatus and wow what a little fish. I had those until this last spring when age took them. Now I’ve started again with a group of Rhadinocentrus Searys Creek, boesmani Aves Creek and eventually some Chilatherina Upper Tor when I can get them from a local breeder. I’m going to invite @Bentley Pascoeto be our resident Nermy Godfather de Rainbow 🌈! Thanks for all you do for the Rainbow Nerms out there Bentley!

Have fun everyone🤘!🌈  🇦🇺 🇬🇳 🇮🇩 

6C71FD84-6FEF-422B-A212-A8A231DC7185.jpeg
Hopefully my Aves Creek in another year!!

Edited by Beardedbillygoat1975
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

@TheSwissAquaristThe males are spectacular but the females are really not bad looking at all. Totally underrated and unfortunately they’re sold at a premium in the states and that keeps more people from enjoy them. Another factor is their short lives - you’re lucky with Pseudomugils if they make it 2 years. Funny story was when I had the opportunity to buy fish from Gary Lange he had some Pseudomugils and I asked about them (Aru 2 I believe) and he basically said why would you bother with them when you can have “real rainbows that won’t be dead in a year.” Too funny and I think he was only half kidding! 

• Like 1

On 12/4/2022 at 10:42 AM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

Gary Lange he had some Pseudomugils and I asked about them (Aru 2 I believe) and he basically said why would you bother with them when you can have “real rainbows that won’t be dead in a year.” Too funny and I think he was only half kidding! 

In that case why did he bother with them? 🤔... I really love the look of them, but the ones round here are just so darn expensive that I rather go with tetras.

On 12/4/2022 at 10:58 AM, Flumpweesel said:

like they are a little embarrassed about something

Must have seen the salad dressing 😂

• Like 1

This thread sparked a debate over lunch at the in-laws about Rainbow line ups Dio is undoubtedly one of Rocks most iconic voices.

Sorry they didn't have the same enthusiasm for fish (well except the former marrillion front man).

To get back on topic you don't bump into rainbow fish all that often over here but next time I'm browsing lfs's I'll share the stock and prices.

@Beardedbillygoat1975 The speckling is very real. It’s a spectacular sight. Looking back, I probably should of gotten a dozen Kamaka’s because of the shortened life span, but I am super happy with them.

@TheSwissAquarist Marcel is a high quality rainbow fish breeder/collector in the states. His lineages are very high quality. He’s extremely popular in the rainbow fish nerm circles. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

@Mynameisnobodyabsolutely right @TheSwissAquaristMarcel has connections with Johannes Graf in Germany 🇩🇪, a breeder in Indonesia, and Gary Lange. He has a facility in Wisconsin. He also breeds a lot of plecos - mostly ancistrus, loaches and  his handle on Aquabid is Roseline17 in case you hear people talking about him on podcasts or what not.

@MynameisnobodyKamaka are great there’s something about that glowing white when they’re fired up. I went with boesmani Aves creek because my wife preferred the colors but for me those kamaka would have been awesome. I’m in the process of buying a group of C. Upper Tor and those will go in my 60 breeder in my fish room. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

@Beardedbillygoat1975 I’ve never kept Aves Creek, but I have kept Aytinjo strain and they were gorgeous. The Aves Creek specimen photos I’ve seen shows them being very light but in a really great way. I have an open 75 that I’d love to add some Goyder River Trifasciata to, but I must wait for the better weather for shipping. 
Are you planning on keeping the Upper Tor as a specimen only tank or do you mix communities? 
PS excellent idea on the rainbow nerm post, great job buddy. 

Edited by Mynameisnobody
  • Thanks 1

Since I saw you post this I got excited and wanted to add to it but haven't gotten around to it until now. 

I never expected to get into rainbowfish but it seems to be one area I'm leaning towards lately. I started by getting some pseudomugil furcata after considering between them and luminatus. Oh boy are they fun and active. 

I'm very addicted to breeding. Like for real it's a problem. I sometimes get a fish fully intending to just enjoy it but inevitably I try to breed it. I've learned that my furcata are much more difficult than other fish I've bred. First of all, the eggs are SUPER tiny. Because of that, the fry is also SUPER tiny. I collect a decent amount of eggs but very few of them end up being fertile.

The ones that do hatch have a low survival rate. Part of that is because at first I underestimated how tiny the food needs to be for them and starved my first fry. Oops. Then, about a month ago, I had 6 fry!  Yay!  Slowly 2 of the 6 died. Happens. Then I had a massive panda cory baby boom in the tank. I put all my eggs in a shrimp tank to be nanny them. This massive baby boom caused an ammonia spike that killed off 3 of the 4 remaining. Luckily, the oldest of them all is still hanging on!   It's even starting to get some yellow coloring!

Here's the tiny little bugger when it was a couple of days old. Tbh, I'm shocked I could catch it on a video. It was so small I had a hard time seeing it in person. 

Here's it now. It's exactly 5 weeks old today!

• Love 2

On 12/11/2022 at 12:55 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Awww, you’re making me want to get into rainbow fish breeding again!

What my 1 successful fry out of dozens of eggs and 7 hatched?  Vs my 40 or so cory fry I barely had to try for haha. 

I will say I look forward to increasing my bow school on my own. I wanted a few more and this is the more fun way to get that lol

• Love 1

Loads of Pseudomugil love on the thread - this is awesome. I was a luminatus keeper for a couple years and they pack tremendous personality in that small package. In terms of feeding the fry, you need to have a supply of very small foods - Sera Micron, Golden Pearls, spirulina or Repashy powders, infusoria, then you could move on to vinegar eels and bbs. Or a green water tank would be good. I would consider keeping them in a setup like @Dean’s Fishroomwith constant floW of water or you could try a German breeding ring where it’s a similar principle just different way to do it. 

On 12/12/2022 at 12:26 AM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

constant floW of wate

Wait?  Do pseudomugil fry enjoy high flow? Long story short I had my fry in my high flow tank for a few hours then moved it back. Maybe I should keep it in the high flow tank?  Hmm...

Edit to add:  that tank does house hillstream loaches and otos but it's not super high flow. It's higher flow is being created from an aqueon 20 on the short side of a 10 gallon tank not a power head or anything. So maybe medium to high is a better term. Higher?  Idk. Intentionally higher than other tanks and def higher than the shrimp tank it's in lol

Edited by Cinnebuns