Shrimp tank plants

I'm trying to think of plants for my shrimp tank. It already has tons of flame moss and marimo moss balls but I'm wanting to add some stem plants and floating as well. I'm tempted however to stay away from normal floating plants. I had water lettuce in there at one point but the sponge filter splashes too much in the small 10 gallon space to make water lettuce a great option. I know there are similar issues with other floaters. I'm thinking maybe pogostemon stellatus octopus?  I was considering planting water sprite. Maybe I float some too?  Any idea for floaters or even other plants good for shrimp I would love!

• Like 1

My shrimp love all plants.... How much trimming are you wanting to do, water parameters you have, textures you're interested in? What size is that tank again? My shrimp love all plants that are growing across the surface, so I get lazy with my trimming. I also like to have light getting all the way to the substrate though, so I can enjoy the color of the shrimp at the bottom.

• Like 2

On 12/4/2022 at 7:55 AM, Cinnebuns said:

I'm trying to think of plants for my shrimp tank. It already has tons of flame moss and marimo moss balls but I'm wanting to add some stem plants and floating as well. I'm tempted however to stay away from normal floating plants. I had water lettuce in there at one point but the sponge filter splashes too much in the small 10 gallon space to make water lettuce a great option. I know there are similar issues with other floaters. I'm thinking maybe pogostemon stellatus octopus?  I was considering planting water sprite. Maybe I float some too?  Any idea for floaters or even other plants good for shrimp I would love!

Frogbit, java moss, hornwort is a good floater, and shrimp look amazing on a lotus leaf!

• Like 1

On 12/4/2022 at 1:18 AM, Minanora said:

My shrimp love all plants.... How much trimming are you wanting to do, water parameters you have, textures you're interested in? What size is that tank again? My shrimp love all plants that are growing across the surface, so I get lazy with my trimming. I also like to have light getting all the way to the substrate though, so I can enjoy the color of the shrimp at the bottom.

I can do a moderate amount of trimming. I'm not against it. But I do know I sometimes have my lazy streaks as we all do. 

Textures I'm not too worried about for this tank tbh as I am my main tank. Mostly just functional over looks. 

10 gallon tank. Black sand substrate. The shrimp population is small but growing.  

On 12/4/2022 at 3:04 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Frogbit, java moss, hornwort is a good floater, and shrimp look amazing on a lotus leaf!

I was considering frogbit. Does it not die off when the leave get wet like water lettuce?  Hornwort is a great suggestion! I do have some cabomba in my main tank which is similar but not a ton. 

On 12/4/2022 at 5:39 AM, DaveO said:

Now that the sag is gone their favorite plant is the java fern wendlov.

Oh!  Idk why I hadn't thought of Java fern. I had a ton at one point. I still have some around that has just been floating in a breeder box. I can make some use of it!

• Like 1

On 12/4/2022 at 2:24 PM, Patrick_G said:

How big is the tank? Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus can get pretty big and quickly. Floating water can look really cool, almost like a snowflake. 
Ludwigia and Bacopa Carolinia are options that are slower growers and look great next to each other. In a smaller tank they’re favorites of mine. 

It's a 10 gallon. Bacopa Carolina is absolutely one plant that's on my mind for this. I also have some ludwigia arcuata in my main tank. 

Would the bacopa work both planted and floating?

• Like 1

On 12/4/2022 at 2:27 PM, Minanora said:

My little 5.5 has the rotalas and they love cleaning and hiding in them. Pearl weed is great floating. Hard to get shrimp out of it when you need to though. I like rotala because I can pick a strand and shake it out easily. Same with PSO.

Pearl Weed has been on my list for quite awhile. Is it as easy and removing it from the pot and plopping it in? Does it tend to melt a lot?