Hello! Let me tell you about our family tank.

85E10184-365B-48C5-A56C-67A8F5780AE5.jpeg.41be5258403a684c320f599314c72631.jpegHello all! 

I’m a mom of two young kiddos. My son has ASD and is non-verbal. He’s the sweetest little guy I’ve ever met and he LOVES to watch fish. I started my hobby about a year ago with the typical gateway Betta fish and now I’m hooked! I got a 45 gallon high tank and spent months researching the perfect setup for our space. I came to the conclusion that I like personality and behavior more than pretty colors so after I finally got the tank cycled I bought 10 albino Cory’s! The whole family loves to watch them play and forage around in the plants and dirt. I happened to stop by my local fish store yesterday and my son fell in love with the rummy nose tetra. We came home with 9 last night and they colored up within about 10 minutes. Today is day two and I’m starting to wonder if I should get a few more rummy nose to add to our community or look for a colorful centerpiece fish. Of course I don’t plan on adding any more fish for at least for another month so perhaps it will give me  time to think it over. Any thoughts, ideas or criticisms are appreciated! 

Edited by Doc_Ho11iday
  • Like 7
  • Love 2

Welcome fellow parent of small kids!

I feel like there was another parent who did an introduction here recently with a child with ASD

Looks like you're off to a great start. You're probably fine adding more tetras. They gave a very small bio load. More rummy nose tetras will lead to more schooling behaviors. You can also add another school of some other type of tetra, they won't school together but it will add more variety.

• Like 1

Welcome! 
Your tank looks really nice, good choices of plants and fish! You could add a few more Rummy nose or a centerpiece fish and you could also go for some Guppies. They’re all around fun fish, active, colorful and you’ll have babies 😁. The kids will go crazy for their own little baby fish. 

1CBE75C7-E98E-4B96-989A-9A917D88FD88.jpeg

• Love 2

On 12/2/2022 at 2:26 PM, Doc_Ho11iday said:

85E10184-365B-48C5-A56C-67A8F5780AE5.jpeg.41be5258403a684c320f599314c72631.jpegHello all! 

I’m a mom of two young kiddos. My son has ASD and is non-verbal. He’s the sweetest little guy I’ve ever met and he LOVES to watch fish. I started my hobby about a year ago with the typical gateway Betta fish and now I’m hooked! I got a 45 gallon high tank and spent months researching the perfect setup for our space. I came to the conclusion that I like personality and behavior more than pretty colors so after I finally got the tank cycled I bought 10 albino Cory’s! The whole family loves to watch them play and forage around in the plants and dirt. I happened to stop by my local fish store yesterday and my son fell in love with the rummy nose tetra. We came home with 9 last night and they colored up within about 10 minutes. Today is day two and I’m starting to wonder if I should get a few more rummy nose to add to our community or look for a colorful centerpiece fish. Of course I don’t plan on adding any more fish for at least for another month so perhaps it will give me  time to think it over. Any thoughts, ideas or criticisms are appreciated! 

Love hearing stories like that 😍

• Love 1

Welcome! It's great to hear of families having tanks together! My mom's tank growing up is exactly what got me into the hobby as well! 

I would think a few tetras would definitely be alright, and with the size of tank I'd say you could add a centerpiece fish as well as long as it was peaceful!

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...