Glutton for guppy punishment

PineSong

I'm finally down to fewer than 20 unsexed juvenile guppies and probably around the same number of baby swordtails, and only five unsexed platy babies. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!

So naturally, my thoughts have turned to "what kind of guppy will I raise next?"

There are just so many varieties. So far I've raised French Blue Star Endlers, Ginga Sulphureus guppies, and double sword mutt guppies. I do love the petite size and peaceful nature of the Endlers, but I also love a nice double sword and then again I like those Spanish dancer type tails...

I guess I will have all winter to drool over online sources, and maybe by spring shipping weather I will actually be looking forward to sorting fry again!

• Like 1

On 11/29/2022 at 12:40 AM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

When I first started this hobby a few years ago I wanted nothing more than to have the dopest colony of Black Metal Lace Guppies anyone had ever seen. Alas, my water is not prime for that species… I tried several times, but soft water just couldn’t do the trick, and I’m not one to alter my water. Maybe one day!

Oh, that would be tough! 

• Like 1

On 11/29/2022 at 12:40 AM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

but soft water just couldn’t do the trick

I feel this but in the opposite direction. There are a dozen fish types that must have soft acidic water.  I want them so bad but have hard high ph water.  I’m not a water chemist either so I live through forum folks vicariously 🤣

@PineSong I also feel your relief at the end and drive to repeat the torture. I’m down to 2 older females past breeding age and only a half a dozen older boys. I kept 2 baby boys to put in with my one stunted growth boy for company. Turns out one was a girl. Now I’m planning on how to setup because I can’t imagine life without guppies. 🤗

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 11/29/2022 at 6:56 AM, Guppysnail said:

I feel this but in the opposite direction. There are a dozen fish types that must have soft acidic water.  I want them so bad but have hard high ph water.  I’m not a water chemist either so I live through forum folks vicariously 🤣

Do you mind if I ask which those are?

On 11/29/2022 at 10:51 AM, JettsPapa said:

Do you mind if I ask which those are?

Several Apisto types and Licorice gourami. Are the ones I want the most. Usually I don’t pay to close attention to recommended parameters as I find fish are crazy adaptable but these I heard won’t adapt. If that is true or not I’m uncertain. I’m 7.8 ph with gh between 15-19 drops and kh of 11-13 drops. 

• Like 1