Best filter for a heavily planted aqurium?

Tuckerdog

I’m looking for people’s opinions on a good filter, I want to have an aquarium co-op sponge filter. It is a very heavily aquarium with floating plants, snails, and large amounts of carpeting and background plants like valisnera. The fish don’t have a huge bio load, only a small/medium school of neon tetras, along with a single angelfish. But I have been told that sponge filters are useless by some people, and heralded as a godsend by others. I don’t know much, would love opinions on this.

Sponge filters are fine for lower bioload, its all about the bacteria anyway. I personally don’t use them because I don’t like to have much equipment in the tank. I prefer a hang on back, like an aquaclear for smaller tanks and canisters for larger tanks (55 and up). A lot of folks don’t like canisters either so to each their own. If you like sponge filters then by all means! ACOP has awesome sponge filters!

On 11/27/2022 at 5:19 PM, Tuckerdog said:

people’s opinions on a good filter, I want to have an aquarium co-op sponge filter. It is a very heavily aquarium with floating plants, snails, and large amounts of carpeting and background plants like valisnera.

The plants in the tank wouldn't really care what filter you're running with the exception of circulation and CO2 dosing.  If you're dosing CO2, try to get a spraybar.  If you're using floating plants, run a sponge on each corner and make sure you have something to leave an opening on the surface.

On 11/27/2022 at 8:19 PM, Tuckerdog said:

I’m looking for people’s opinions on a good filter, I want to have an aquarium co-op sponge filter. It is a very heavily aquarium with floating plants, snails, and large amounts of carpeting and background plants like valisnera. The fish don’t have a huge bio load, only a small/medium school of neon tetras, along with a single angelfish. But I have been told that sponge filters are useless by some people, and heralded as a godsend by others. I don’t know much, would love opinions on this.

I have a 55 gal that is reasonably heavilly bioload stocked with some plants and a single large sponge filter running and have had 0 issues. I think sponge filters are awesome!

Like EVoyager31  said, its all about the bacteria anyway.

If you read the internet for long enough you will find multiple exact opposite opinions on almost everything. I think its best to go ahead and try what you want and learn from your own personal experience

What are your water parameters and your fishes’ health? If both those are spot on, I’d say the sponge filter is working great for you. Stay the course. If you find a great deal on a canister filter and want to try it, give it a go. I personally have canister filters, HOBs, sponge filters and aquaponic submersible pumps with pre-filters in my aquariums, give or take which tank and for what species. All have their pros and cons. I agree with being able to find exact opposite opinions on everything. Go with the filter that you operate well, that takes care of your fish. If that’s a sponge filter, so be it - if that’s a canister - so be it.