cloudy water

Hawyun

Hello and Happy Thanksgiving!

I have a twenty gallon freshwater tank with a wisper 10 and a sponge filter with an air stone. My tank started getting cloudy so I syphoned my substrate and changed about 5 gallons water. I use filtered water. my tank is still cloudy. what can be my problem? Nitrates are about 30ppg. ph is about 6.5 I know I should be patient but I was so used to seeing crystle clear water I did rinse my sponge filter with tap water?

clear water about a week ago.jpg

cloudy side shot.jpg

cloudy water.jpg

Hi there! Welcome to the forum! You could have a bacterial bloom. In which case changing water only prolongs it or makes it worse. This happens in newer tanks but not also unheard of in older ones. If this is the case the best thing to do is wait it out as long as you can (maybe not feed for a few days)- but watch ammonia and other levels carefully as they can spike them- and sometimes you don't have a choice but to change water for your fish. 

Other things that can do it is overfeeding. 

• Like 1

Awesome! thanks I have read a few blogs and videos. about it. I am just anxious to see it back to clear. 

Have a great day!

new at this didnt know if I replyed the right way.

Thanks and have a awesome day!

(replying to above) You can post on the thread in reply and to get someone's specific attention, like saying what you said (you are welcome) you just type the @ sign and start typing out the person's handle and it should pop up so you can select it then type what you want like: @Hawyun good luck! Hope it clears up soon! 😁

On 11/25/2022 at 10:09 PM, Hawyun said:

Awsome thanks how did this happen and how do you get rid of it?

If you have an ammonia test kit I would test it before doing anything else if you have any ammonia I would do 50 % daily water changes and add a double dose of prime to help detoxify any ammonia till it constantly stays at zero