Fish swap! Any recommendations??

TheSwissAquarist

Those Copadichromis... that's the "red fin" variety. Lake Malawi. Very colorful, but you'll need to watch the water parameters. Little bit higher ph, decent water hardness.

Caucatoides "Double Red" is nice. Not quite a "Super Red", but still a beautiful fish. Not super demanding.

The Mikrogeophagus is a "German Blue Ram" type. These are a bit picky about water.

Also, the Neolamprologus are shell dwellers. They can be very cool in a large colony if you have the setup for it. Old Escargot shells from an online supplier or local french restaurant will keep them pretty happy. Some water params to watch for.

That's what sticks out to me. All these are going to look pretty cool on the screen behind the auctioneer, just do your water research before you go in.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 11/21/2022 at 5:56 PM, Comradovich said:

Those Copadichromis... that's the "red fin" variety. Lake Malawi. Very colorful, but you'll need to watch the water parameters. Little bit higher ph, decent water hardness.

Caucatoides "Double Red" is nice. Not quite a "Super Red", but still a beautiful fish. Not super demanding.

The Mikrogeophagus is a "German Blue Ram" type. These are a bit picky about water.

Also, the Neolamprologus are shell dwellers. They can be very cool in a large colony if you have the setup for it. Old Escargot shells from an online supplier or local french restaurant will keep them pretty happy. Some water params to watch for.

That's what sticks out to me. All these are going to look pretty cool on the screen behind the auctioneer, just do your water research before you go in.

Thanks! I’m definitely going to try getting some Multi Shell dwellers😁!

On 11/21/2022 at 8:39 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Hi Nerms!!

A local aquarium club near me is organizing a fish swap, and have released a list of some of the species they’re expecting…I have 2 tanks ( 20 gal & 15 gal ) which are either going spare or I want to redo them.

Heres a copied and pasted list of them! 
Have a nice day!

I am definitely going to enjoy and totally will look up every one of these fish.  🙂   We should totally have a "virtual" auction where you get a budget or a list or something and pick out your favorites.  Maybe the most requested from the list is a special at the shop!!??? for the month or something.  That would be fun.

The double red apisto and the german rams would be where I would start. I would peek at the galaxy rasboras too if you had a cooler temp planted tank.
I definitely NEED a pleco, so that would be next up on my list, maybe 2.

I also think it's a cichlid heavy list of sorts and if that's what you're into keeping I would look at:

-Copadichromis borleyi (really beautiful, the photo I saw)
-Hypsophrys nicaraguensis (also, really unique coloration)
-Herichthys carpintis (Would take a while, but the adult form is unique, depends on quality of pattern)

For the guppys I think I would end up with either the tricolor showa or the pure white ones.  I don't know if you could cross them, but I would imagine those two will often sell alright.