Stocking Ideas for 2.5 gal shrimp tank (pic provided)

Shotaling

Not overly educated in the nano fish realm yet (only seriously been keeping fish for ~6 months, finally got my own place to do so). Wondering if there are any fish, locally found or online, that could stock a 2.5 gallon shrimp breeding tank. The nano fish I currently have are Celestial Pearl Danios and Pygmy Corydoras. No they are not in this tank I have them in another 29 gallon tank. I'm not personally comfortable putting either of them in this small of a tank unless they are known to be a good stocking option for that size tank (really don't believe they are though). Really just wondering if there are any fish capable of being housed in such a small tank.

Current Setup:

2.5 Gallon Tank

1/8th inch gravel substrate, some catappa leaves, clump of java moss, 3 small windelov java ferns attached to 2 1" pvc segments, patch of dwarf hairgrass.

Currently stocked with 2 Blue Dream Shrimp (m+f breeding), and 2 horned nerite snails

Tank parameters:

pH: ~8

TDS: ~500

Temp: 72 F

Totally understand if there is no such fish capable of safely being kept in such a small tank. Just looking to liven up my desk aquarium a bit while I wait for more shrimp. And yes I understand some fish will eat the baby shrimp and I am completely fine with that, will make more hiding spaces if it becomes an issue. Also my first post so any extra aquarium info is greatly appreciated. Looking to learn as much as possible about the hobby even if I don't have a personal use for the information! Thank You!

20221117_161900[908].jpg

I personally might be comfortable putting my pair of diapteron killifish in a 2.5 gallon of that dimension. Some killi breeders would be fine breeding pairs of killis in such small tanks. I specifically am saying my diapterons though as they are particularly small, but also quite inactive I've found, which is also a large component to this suggestion. Another small killi might be the clown killifish but I don't really know their activity level as well. However, since you want you tank to breed shrimp, maybe no killi would work out for focused shrimp breeding. Otherwise maybe I could include dwarf anchor catfish if I had such a tank. They wiggle around during feeding time and at night, but otherwise theyre very inactive, very small, and have very poor vision as well. Just give them places for them to lay on and theyll be happy imo. Others may feel free to chime in if they disagree of course, but those are some things I'd be okay trying personally. 

Edit: I should note that dwarf anchors would prefer to be in a group, but I think you could get away with a few. 

Edited by billango
  • Like 1

I also wouldn't keep any fish in that tank, especially if you are trying to breed the shrimp.  One lone male and female shrimp in the tank would be a challenge enough to breed, but losing the shrimplets to other animal life would make the process needlessly difficult.  If anything, I would consider adding a couple more female shrimp.

• Like 1

I don’t recommend fish of any type in a 2.5 gallon. It is even to small for an adult mystery snail.  Snails like ramshorns which come in many cool colors are good with shrimp.  Maybe after it gets a really good layer of biofilm and algae a nerite but let it get very covered. They eat a lot and don’t really take to supplemental feeding so I’m not certain a nerite would thrive long term. 

• Like 1

Hello, and welcome to the forum.  I agree with the others about not adding any fish.

• I'd suggest adding one more male and several more female shrimp.
  • More live plants would be good.  Something like java moss or susswassertang would be good.
  • I see the tank has a heater.  If you want to maximize offspring that's okay, but for just shrimp you really don't need it.
On 11/17/2022 at 3:28 PM, Shotaling said:

. . . Also my first post so any extra aquarium info is greatly appreciated. Looking to learn as much as possible about the hobby even if I don't have a personal use for the information! Thank You!

Here is a link to some basic shrimp keeping information I put together a while ago if you'd like to take a look:  

• Like 2