Biofilm? Algae? Mystery moss?

Redhawk

I apologize ahead of time cause my pictures just do not have any sense of quality but I have the brown "stuff" covering alot of the surface area of my planted aquarium.  I haven't brought my water to be tested at a fish store yet but I do my weekly water testing and everything is right where I would expect it.  No chlorine, PH of 7(ish), Nitrites and Nitrates are both optimum.

I do have VERY hard water.  

Any ideas of what the heck this is?  I've considered getting some shrimp to see if they can clean it up some but I don't want to go down the wrong path.

If anyone can provide some possible leads to chase, please let me know.  Much appreciated,

Red

20221116_163446.jpg

20221116_163442.jpg

It's brown diatoms and mulm.  Might be a pleco, overabundance of light or something causing the diatoms.  Siphon it, remove it with a brush, then do a big WC and keep ahead of it.  It'll go away on it's own. 

Keep in mind, if you don't have filtration working, this stuff will end up showing up for you.  What is your filtration like?

On 11/17/2022 at 9:40 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

It's brown diatoms and mulm.  Might be a pleco, overabundance of light or something causing the diatoms.  Siphon it, remove it with a brush, then do a big WC and keep ahead of it.  It'll go away on it's own. 

Keep in mind, if you don't have filtration working, this stuff will end up showing up for you.  What is your filtration like?

Its in a 20 Gallon (High) tank so I have a Medium sized Aquarium Co-Op Sponge filter in the tank.  (Picture attached for reference of layout)

I haven't graveled vac'd yet, but I did anticpate on doing one very soon so I'll get that done. 

20221029_155031.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/18/2022 at 12:23 PM, Redhawk said:

Its in a 20 Gallon (High) tank so I have a Medium sized Aquarium Co-Op Sponge filter in the tank.  (Picture attached for reference of layout)

I haven't graveled vac'd yet, but I did anticpate on doing one very soon so I'll get that done. 

20221029_155031.jpg

Are they real plants?? My first reaction is that you may be over feeding the tank.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2022 at 6:56 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Are they real plants?? My first reaction is that you may be over feeding the tank.

Yes,  (Mostly)

Listed from left to right:

Amazon Sword, Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus (front), Fake plant (back), Java fern, and Vallesteria.

I could be overfeeding.  I've slowed down in the past couple of days to see if it'll clean up.  Also thought about getting some shrimp to help keep things picked up more.  Havne't fully commited to anything yet though.

As far as ferts go, I do 2 squirts on Wednesday and Sunday.  I saw in one of the articles it mentioned that I could be over fertilizing.

Try adding a hob filter. Sponge filters are not great for flow that sweeps the detritus to the filter. They do not do very well for mechanical filtration.  With corydora in the tank staying and foraging on the floor it’s important to keep waste from building up. They need very clean substrate.  

• Like 2

On 11/18/2022 at 8:45 AM, Guppysnail said:

Try adding a hob filter. Sponge filters are not great for flow that sweeps the detritus to the filter. They do not do very well for mechanical filtration.  With corydora in the tank staying and foraging on the floor it’s important to keep waste from building up. They need very clean substrate.  

Ok,  I can certainly invest in one.

Do you have any solid recommendations?  As mentioned previously, I'm dealing with a 20 Gallon High tank so i'd be curious to see if I can find one with a extended intake tube to grab the "crud" from the bottom and not just the top portion of the aquarium.  I also have a Betta in this tank so I'll try find one that has adjustable flow or I'll DYI something if I need too.

EDIT:

Just re-read what you posted.  I think I see what your saying now.  The hob filter will be used to "circulate" the crud to the sponge filter?

Edited by Redhawk
  • Like 1

Aqua clear 50 for a 20 high. Amazon sells replacement intake tubes. I hook that to the one it comes with for deeper tanks. For corydora I also like the marine land biowheel thing. Though I can never get the wheel to spin it’s a great filter and restarts itself after water changes.  The outflow skims the surface for fantastic gas exchange since corylike high oxygen environments and seems to do a bi better on floor sweeping as well as come with a longer intake tube. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Thanks 1

On 11/18/2022 at 9:14 AM, Guppysnail said:

Aqua clear 50 for a 20 high. Amazon sells replacement intake tubes. I hook that to the one it comes with for deeper tanks. For corydora I also like the marine land biowheel thing. Though I can never get the wheel to spin it’s a great filter and restarts itself after water changes.  The outflow skims the surface for fantastic gas exchange since corylike high oxygen environments and seems to do a bi better on floor sweeping as well as come with a longer intake tube. 

Great!  I'll look into those as well as all the feedback from above.  Thank you all for your very generous help!  

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2022 at 8:45 AM, Guppysnail said:

Just wanted to say you were 100% spot on with your recommendation of the marineland biowheel filter.  My tank looks 100 times better since adding it and the fish are now acting more normal.  

Thank you very much

• Love 2

On 12/1/2022 at 10:54 AM, Redhawk said:

Just wanted to say you were 100% spot on with your recommendation of the marineland biowheel filter.  My tank looks 100 times better since adding it and the fish are now acting more normal.  

Thank you very much

You are welcome. I’m glad you like it!

• Thanks 2