Ideas for 40g Breeder Unheated Tank

Phinny

Hello,

I'm trying to come up with stocking ideas for an unheated, planted 40g breeder. I'm considering rosy barbs but don't know what type of bottom dweller would be appropriate for this size tank and temperature range (65-70 F). I was thinking of cherry shrimp as a bottom dweller, in which case I would probably go with White Clouds and/or Medaka Rice Fish. Any ideas/thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

@Beardedbillygoat1975 Are dojo loaches appropriate for a 40g tank? I thought they get large?

On 11/9/2022 at 3:12 AM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

Rosy barbs would eat the shrimp. 

Barbatus corys, rosy barbs long fin are saweet. 

Hillstream tank with hillstream loaches, shiners and zebra danios. 

Dojo loaches x 2 and Rosy barbs x 5-7 or Ranchus x 2. 

White clouds and or Medaka + palleatus corys or Barbatus. 

Shameless plug of my tank for ideas?

I have a 50g lowboy setup as a sub-alpine creek with whiteclouds and riverine gobies.No heater lots of flow. 

can go with white clouds, danio, hillstream loaches, rubberlip plecos, rainbow shiners. Truly lots of fish in the market now that enjoy upper 60’s. Even with this flow and no heater my tank stays around 68-72 year round.

On 11/9/2022 at 5:13 AM, Phinny said:

@Beardedbillygoat1975 Are dojo loaches appropriate for a 40g tank? I thought they get large?

dojo’s only get about 6” in tanks. In ponds they can get a foot or more if you live in zones 6-8.

• Like 1