Help needed: Fish club games!

clovenpine

I'm in the midst of planning our First Annual Holiday FIN-dig for our local fish club, and I need suggestions for fun games to play before the dinner!

Current ideas: 

Fish trivia, where members can play individually or form teams and write in their answers to be "graded" after each round. Prizes will be awarded after each round and a grand prize awarded to the winningest player/team. Need: fish trivia questions.

Never Have I Ever: Fish Edition, where all members start with their hands raised and lower them when an action is called that they've done before. Shamelessly stolen from the ACO game show at Aquashella. Need: actions/situations that will eliminate veteran fish keepers so a newbie has a chance of winning.

Aquascape Sweep, where individuals or teams get 5 minutes and a $150 budget to fill their shopping carts on their preferred website to set up a new tank. Ideas to be judged by panel with the best, most creative, most cost-effective aquascaping idea as the prize winner. This one will be hard to judge and might create bad blood, so I might scrap this idea. Need feedback and tips to keep it fun.

Club Scavenger Hunt, where participants must match the fishkeeping fact to the club member. They'll receive the fact list at the beginning of the event and turn them in when the meal is served, with the winner being the participant who matched the most details to the correct member. This is to encourage interaction and asking questions to get conversations started. Need input: is this inappropriate or intrusive? How do people who struggle socially have an equal chance of success? Might scrap this one.

Need: suggestions for more fun and inclusive games!

On 11/4/2022 at 10:29 PM, clovenpine said:

Club Scavenger Hunt

I've played this at work functions it was used to break down barriers with senior managers.

You worked as a table to find the answers the fun facts were only about the senior managers but (as there were a lot of people in the room). Strategic trading of info broke out as be well.

Oh and the managers would only answer one question so you had to be clever. But this stopped it turning into an inquisition.

Other game ideas,

Pin the gonopodium on the guppy.

Fact or fiction quiz

Get some photos of strange variants or super close ups  of fish and get people to guess them. 

Correctly place these fish in the country of origin.

Guess the number of guppies in the tank.

Design a fish, then cut out your picture to enter the flappy fish race.

A fish version of a beatle drive.

I admit some of my ideas may suit a younger audience.

Edited by Flumpweesel
Ideas
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Cory had his talk and they played some fun games to give things away, might be worth a watch.

The fun one for someone who might not know a lot of fish stuff was the game where Cory asked "have you ever" questions and if you had then you keep standing. Last one standing gets the prize.

Let's hope there is a classic, "toss a ping pong ball into a glass thing" game.

On 11/4/2022 at 3:29 PM, clovenpine said:

Club Scavenger Hunt,

One idea we had on the forums was a fish store scavenger hunt. Might be an idea, especially if the event has a variety of shops.  Prices or something like photos of each one, that would be fun!

• Like 2

On 11/4/2022 at 3:29 PM, clovenpine said:

Never Have I Ever: Fish Edition, where all members start with their hands raised and lower them when an action is called that they've done before. Shamelessly stolen from the ACO game show at Aquashella. Need: actions/situations that will eliminate veteran fish keepers so a newbie has a chance of winning.

Easiest ways:

Someone who is currently cycling a tank

Someone who has one tank only

Someone who has a 20G tank or smaller only.

(Not saying this negatively) Someone with only one fish in the tank, glofish, or a Betta

Someone who only keeps plants

Someone who only keeps shrimp

Etc.

Making things like trivia multiple choice is also a good way.  Who wants to be a millionaire style game where you get some easier questions and can still have some fun!

• Like 1

On 11/5/2022 at 12:59 AM, Flumpweesel said:

I've played this at work functions it was used to break down barriers with senior managers.

You worked as a table to find the answers the fun facts were only about the senior managers but (as there were a lot of people in the room). Strategic trading of info broke out as be well.

Oh and the managers would only answer one question so you had to be clever. But this stopped it turning into an inquisition.

Other game ideas,

Pin the gonopodium on the guppy.

Fact or fiction quiz

Get some photos of strange variants or super close ups  of fish and get people to guess them. 

Correctly place these fish in the country of origin.

Guess the number of guppies in the tank.

Design a fish, then cut out your picture to enter the flappy fish race.

A fish version of a beatle drive.

I admit some of my ideas may suit a younger audience.

I just got such a weird look form my dad when I burst out laughing at your first idea!! Its a great one!

Edited by TheSwissAquarist
  • Like 2

Beetle drive.  It was church fundraiser when I was kid. But the basics are you roll a dice to draw body parts of a beetle (as determined by the number rolled). You have to draw the body first so getting the 1 quickly is key.  Then it just the first too complete their beetle and shout out "beetle"

In a drive when beetle is shouted the winner then changes table (with the people who are the most complete) the winner is who has the most beetles when someone has completed a lap (I think) short form might work for you though.

Or if we can come up with 99 amusing fish based number puns (two fat puffers 88) play bingo. 

• Haha 1

My ideas: 

1) Guess the fish

2) Lose your letters it's a game where you have all the letters of the Alphabet apart from X on a set of cards, the cards are dealt out evenly between the players and a topic is given, for example 'Tetras'. The player with 'N' shouts Neon, the one with 'C' says Congo, etc..The last player to put down their letter in the center of the table (it's a game of speed) has to pick up all the letters everyone else has put down. The winner is the first player with no letters. Could be fun.

family_card_game_lose_your_letters_1497499329_bce2881f.jpg.d020cfafb6118d0bf47e43edb9737586.jpgUnknown-2.jpeg.9b7edf16e776de80fb65ca6ebd902acb.jpeg

3) Labyrinth: A game where you move players around the board to get to different places... replace the ghosts & knights with fish & plants?

Unknown-1.jpeg.3912e4df6215ef58fa59881e0d038565.jpeg

4) Poker with fish on the cards

Keep us posted on what you choose!

Edited by TheSwissAquarist
French Keyboard autocorrect
  • Like 1

On 11/5/2022 at 1:57 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Easiest ways:

Someone who is currently cycling a tank

Someone who has one tank only

Someone who has a 20G tank or smaller only.

(Not saying this negatively) Someone with only one fish in the tank, glofish, or a Betta

Someone who only keeps plants

Someone who only keeps shrimp

Etc.

Making things like trivia multiple choice is also a good way.  Who wants to be a millionaire style game where you get some easier questions and can still have some fun!

This would be really good as a "getting to know you" game to get people talking to each other: everybody gets a sheet with these and other requirements and needs to write down the name of someone else in the room for each. (Only write down each person once though!) So people spend some time wandering around trying to meet everyone, get to know their names, and what kinds of things they're interested in.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2022 at 6:29 PM, clovenpine said:

I'm in the midst of planning our First Annual Holiday FIN-dig for our local fish club, and I need suggestions for fun games to play before the dinner!

Current ideas: 

Fish trivia, where members can play individually or form teams and write in their answers to be "graded" after each round. Prizes will be awarded after each round and a grand prize awarded to the winningest player/team. Need: fish trivia questions.

Aquascape Sweep, where individuals or teams get 5 minutes and a $150 budget to fill their shopping carts on their preferred website to set up a new tank. Ideas to be judged by panel with the best, most creative, most cost-effective aquascaping idea as the prize winner. This one will be hard to judge and might create bad blood, so I might scrap this idea. Need feedback and tips to keep it fun.

Club Scavenger Hunt, where participants must match the fishkeeping fact to the club member. They'll receive the fact list at the beginning of the event and turn them in when the meal is served, with the winner being the participant who matched the most details to the correct member. This is to encourage interaction and asking questions to get conversations started. Need input: is this inappropriate or intrusive? How do people who struggle socially have an equal chance of success? Might scrap this one.

Need: suggestions for more fun and inclusive games!

You have set yourself for a real challenge, I hope you have help!

Trivia: Can you name a fish that resembles a land mammal that resembles a fish?   Fish in movies, name that fish tool ie: tools or products that include fish in the name or are named after a fish, 'fish' food, largest freshwater fish, largest saltwater fish...

Team game:  aquatic only Pictionary

Aquarium Crime Scene: A timed event based on Crime Scene Kitchen. You provide clues both real and fake as to how an aquascape originally looked.  Teams use provided materials to reconstruct a complete (dry) aquascape. Judges award points based on how close the new aquascape is to a picture of the original.  Cardboard fish pictures could also be used.

Scavenger hunt:

"is this inappropriate or intrusive? How do people who struggle socially have an equal chance of success?"  Neither, if the facts are based on information revealed at club functions or on line..  A hang on the wall short hobby related bio/intro/ greatest achievement by long time members will aid new comers.  Alternatively you could

Other: Aquarium related Secret Santa, An amusement park style fish (duck)pond. Name that fish/plant. ie: you provide the Latin names. they provide the common names.

• Love 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 11/4/2022 at 6:29 PM, clovenpine said:

Never Have I Ever:

These keep newbies in the game but a lot of  old timers will lower their hands 

-collected wild food for fish or fish or decor items from the yard local creek
-used a box filter.