i think this is fungus?

SC Fish

a picture of a grass plant in my aquarium - 20 gallon , 2 months old

i believe its fungus, but im not entirely sure. im currently treating the tank with anti fungus and finrot+ by interpret - 6th day.

on the plant you will find small white coatings dotted on it, 

20221104_132558.jpg

20221104_132636.jpg

On 11/4/2022 at 3:11 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Try introducing about 5-6 amanos if its a 15 gal or under; they should soon get rid of the unsightliness.

its not the fact it looks bad, its the fact that its fungus and im sure its damaging the tank..

On 11/4/2022 at 3:13 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

I just assumed that you didn't like the look of it...how big is the tank?

i mentioned its a 20 gallon, it already has 3 amano , 2 that are around 3 years old from my mates tank who couldnt care for them, and a cherry

On 11/4/2022 at 3:18 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Right, sorry! Maybe add a couple more Amanos in this case, like that you get a good clean-up crew which would eat this before you even notice it.

i agree with you, but im waiting a few weeks to add any more fish/inverts to the tank. just because i am currently treating the tank. but im planning to get around 4 or 5 more

On 11/4/2022 at 4:19 PM, SC Fish said:

i agree with you, but im waiting a few weeks to add any more fish/inverts to the tank. just because i am currently treating the tank. but im planning to get around 4 or 5 more

OK, in that case keep us posted on how it develops...a friend had this in a new tank, but it disappeared after 4 weeks.

On 11/4/2022 at 4:21 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

It could just be biofilm.  

🤦‍♂️ I'm an idiot

My apologies but my eyes are very poor so I could be way off base. This is the only thing I see on the plant. 
Does it almost look like a jelly sac with dots inside?  If so it’s possible it is bladder snail eggs?  If it’s not a jelly save I apologize again for my terrible old eyes. 

2CDF476C-DD3B-46D5-934B-B94EE0DA9F37.jpeg

• Like 1

On 11/4/2022 at 3:54 PM, Guppysnail said:

My apologies but my eyes are very poor so I could be way off base. This is the only thing I see on the plant. 
Does it almost look like a jelly sac with dots inside?  If so it’s possible it is bladder snail eggs?  If it’s not a jelly save I apologize again for my terrible old eyes. 

2CDF476C-DD3B-46D5-934B-B94EE0DA9F37.jpeg

this is the thing im concerned about , however its not bladder snail eggs because i have not seen a single one in the tank since i set it up.

If you want Reverse Respiration will disinfect the plant from snail eggs (not seeing one does not mean it’s not there) algae and it should work on fungus also. 
remove the plant and submerge it in plain seltzer water for 9-12 hours in the dark. Anything living that is not a live plant is now dead so it can be returned to the aerated water of the tank. No need to rinse there is no residue. Any leaves not healthy and already dying will be ph pruned. All healthy leaves will not be harmed. 
here is the full article 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Love 1

On 11/4/2022 at 8:14 AM, SC Fish said:

i mentioned its a 20 gallon, it already has 3 amano , 2 that are around 3 years old from my mates tank who couldnt care for them, and a cherry

3 amanos might not do much and very likely are eating whatever flake or other food is left over. If you hold back food for a few days, maybe they'll go after it.

It looks like staghorn to me. Common stuff I've been dealing with. A form of hair algae that can come in a variety of colors based on whatever one you happen to have. The stuff I have tends to focus on dead leaves.

On 11/4/2022 at 8:22 AM, SC Fish said:

isnt biofilm an oil on the surface of a tank??

Biofilm would be a white film common on new wood surfaces.

There is also surface film at the top of the water made from a variety of things like proteins and oils from other foods and other sources. It would look a bit like a puddle of oil in water on an overcast day (rainbow colors, etc). I'm sure the two terms are used interchangeably at some level.

The wood variety is usually a fungus and/or a bacterial growth that is a white growth and can flake off. It can also be found on plastics in the tank, commonly on airline tubing.

On 11/5/2022 at 6:44 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

3 amanos might not do much and very likely are eating whatever flake or other food is left over. If you hold back food for a few days, maybe they'll go after it.

It looks like staghorn to me. Common stuff I've been dealing with. A form of hair algae that can come in a variety of colors based on whatever one you happen to have. The stuff I have tends to focus on dead leaves.

Biofilm would be a white film common on new wood surfaces.

There is also surface film at the top of the water made from a variety of things like proteins and oils from other foods and other sources. It would look a bit like a puddle of oil in water on an overcast day (rainbow colors, etc). I'm sure the two terms are used interchangeably at some level.

The wood variety is usually a fungus and/or a bacterial growth that is a white growth and can flake off. It can also be found on plastics in the tank, commonly on airline tubing.

well i have no wood in the tank or live rock for that matter so its not any wood variety.. 

however ihave staghorn on the large anubias.  - its not dying though..

however im noticing that there is a white fuz similar to on the grass plant growing on other plants , but not their leaves, just the stems

Edited by SC Fish
  • Like 1