Are there fish out there that like a pH of 8.4 and a GH of 0 and a KH of 286.4 ppm (dKH 16)? 

KittenFishMom

That is my well water: pH of 8.4, GH of 0 and KH of 286.4 ppm (dKH 16).  It just about match the lake water.

In New York State, it is illegal to keep native fish. (We are from the government, we are here to help you, right?) 

Any ideas on how to best stock my tanks for my well water?

I'm really stumped on this one.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2022 at 8:20 PM, KittenFishMom said:

@nabokovfan87 I haven't done that. Is that leaving the water uncover at room temp for 24 hours?

yep!

The method I have used:
A.  Test your tap water right away
B.  Aerate that sample for 24 hours with an airstone, then re-test.
C.  Compare those results to the water parameters in the tank, that's what you'd expect on water changes to happen.

@OceanTruth Before I knew it was illegal, I kept native fish.  Last summer I had a 120 gallon tank full of native fish and mudpuppies.  In the fall I gave them to a nature center to display because my garage wasn't heated. I then stocked my indoor 55 gallon tank with all kinds small fish I caught in my minnow traps. In February, I gave them to someone in the fish and wildlife department to display. He told me he didn't agree with the law, and was part of a group that was trying to get it changed, but that it was illegal to keep native fish. He said he kept native fish as a kid and that lead him to his current career. I don't know if you might be able to order them from an out of state breeder, so they are not native, but you could check. I'm sure you would need to keep documentation that they came from out of state. if you are fishing with minnows you have to be able to produce the receipt were you bought them. I'm not sure if you can even catch minnows for bait because you won't have a receipt.  Invasive species are a huge problem in New York State. 

• Like 1