Injured or Sick Electric Blue Jack Dempsey!

FrezhFinz

Hello everyone so I have multiple tank setups in one of my tanks which is a 29 gallon that is stocked up with a bunch of Amazon swords Java ferns and dwarf hair grass. The fish in the tank I have one firemouth cichlid, two blood parrots, one electric blue jack Dempsey and a albino Pleco. I arrived home today after work and I do my normal routine of checking every tank and I noticed my EBJD was not in his usual place and he was on the bottom of the substrate on the other side of the tank basiablly laying down on the substrate and he was rolling on the floor of the tank like if he was doing a death roll that gators do I don’t know if the fire mouth was being aggressive towards him because he is the biggest fish in here but he is still alive and breathing hard I am just wondering what I should do with dosing him with Melafix or Fin and Body Cure by API. Please if anyone can help me and the little guy will greatly appreciate it please and thank you! 🙏🏽

image.jpg

image.jpg

What I would do is quarantine him if you can and add an extra air stone and add some aquarium salt 1 table for 3 gallons that will aid Gill function and add essential electrolytes to give him more energy it more than likely he has been attacked by one of your other cichlids @FrezhFinz

@FrezhFinz In the past, Electric Blue JD’s genetics are not the most solid. They are prone to diseases and seeing an old EBJD is a bit of a rarity. So depending where you purchased it, if it was properly quarantined, etc will depend on the genetic quality of the fish. 
With that said, you may want to spread some of the stock throughout a few other aquariums. You don’t have the most aggressive cichlids, however they are territorial and a 29 just doesn’t have the footprint to house all those territories. I’d say upgrade to a 75 or at least a 55 and you should be good to go. I’d also add some more hard scape so they can successfully set up their own territories without impeding on each other. Good luck