Spixii snails hunt and eat live bladder snails

Guppysnail

I didn’t want to bury this in one of my journals so I’m putting it here so everyone can see. 

Last week I thought one of my Spixii snail was eating a dead bladder snail. Most of my bladder snails have vanished in this tank. Tank houses magenta mystery snail babies and adults. 11 Asolene Spixii snails. Shrimp, bladder snails and one rogue panda Cory fry. 

I watched this Spixii hit te bladder with its antenna then speed up following the bladder along the glass. At the end you can see the empty bladder shell. 
EDIT Sorry for the heavy breathing I have a cold 🤣

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

On 11/1/2022 at 1:36 PM, Guppysnail said:

I didn’t want to bury this in one of my journals so I’m putting it here so everyone can see. 

Last week I thought one of my Spixii snail was eating a dead bladder snail. Most of my bladder snails have vanished in this tank. Tank houses magenta mystery snail babies and adults. 11 Asolene Spixii snails. Shrimp, bladder snails and one rogue panda Cory fry. 

I watched this Spixii hit te bladder with its antenna then speed up following the bladder along the glass. At the end you can see the empty bladder shell. 

I'll add that to my list of pest snail controllers!

Get better soon!

• Thanks 1

On 11/1/2022 at 7:36 AM, Guppysnail said:

Wow!  I’ve not read a lot about Spixi snails since they’re illegal in Texas but I’ve never seen even a whisper of this mentioned!  A completely new behavior as far as I’ve heard.  Another keen observation, @Guppysnail!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Good to have a first hand report @Guppysnail! I actually bought a spixi snail some time ago to help deal with ramshorn overpopulation (didn't want assassin snails as didn't want them to breed or go for my nerite) as I read online that they eat other snails sometimes but it was hard to know whether it was actually eating any of them as I had so many and information about it online is sparse. The ramshorn population has stabilized now and I'm not overrun but whether the spixi had any affect I have no idea, it's still a cool snail either way (other than regularly playing dead making me worry only to find it playing dead the other side of the tank another day)

• Like 2