electric blue x midnight ram

DiscusLover

Just pitching in on the midnight, they can come from gold too. Mine is. I would say test out your midnights first to see what they yield - (gbr or gold) + midnights. Depending on the strain, you will get different color cross with ebr. I heard that you can get the moon dragons from midnight (from gold) X ebr. Moon dragons are the gold faced electric blues. 

• Like 1

Forgot to mention, one of the possible outcomes would be a midnight ram with more "sparkles". A guy was breeding it and coined it sapphire rams and sold it at Aquarium Zen (no longer does). Maybe if you dig deep into their insta, you can find a picture of it? 

On 10/27/2022 at 10:59 PM, Snjchris said:

Forgot to mention, one of the possible outcomes would be a midnight ram with more "sparkles". A guy was breeding it and coined it sapphire rams and sold it at Aquarium Zen (no longer does). Maybe if you dig deep into their insta, you can find a picture of it? 

I'm still trying to figure out if its gold or gbr. I've had 3 spawns but all were very poor spawns so none hatched. My pair is about to spawn, hopefully I can figure out

On 10/27/2022 at 11:07 PM, Snjchris said:

Do you know what is causing your eggs to not spawn? If it is fungus, I had a lot of luck using methylane blue. I wrote a ram breeding post on my setup. Feel free to check it out. 

https://forum.aquariumcoop.com/topic/15561-newbie-breeding-journal-black-rams/

Yea I followed the same exact things that you have. I always pull the ram eggs and put them in meth blue and try to remove and white eggs. Still never any luck. I've had better with golds and electric but not really with midnight. Its very frusturating indeed I recently lose 2 out of my 3 black ram pairs for an unknown reason and Im trying to keep my last pair alive and running.  

On 10/27/2022 at 11:22 PM, Snjchris said:

Sorry to hear about that. Midnights are extra finicky. I am surprised to hear that you actually had more luck with electric. Those ones never make it for me and I have a put a pause on getting new ones. 

I find electric blues to have better spawn then the gold and midnight. Im not sure if its just my pair but electrics to have better spawns.

On 10/27/2022 at 11:29 PM, Snjchris said:

I never had a ebr pair that made it to egg stage. They either DOA or arrive skinny and die weeks later. Someday I'll get my hands on a healthy pair. Find it a bit hard these days when these strains are quite inbred. 

Yea very understandable. I try to get my fish that are locally bred and the only time I really ordered fish online was the midnight rams.

@DiscusLover and @Snjchris interesting conversation here! Couple thoughts, if I may chime in.

My son and I worked on Rams for awhile. When crossing Gold and Electric Blue, we found that fry developed into opal gold / opal blue. It was not until crossing these that some interesting colors began to appear. I tried to chart this awhile back...

1045679160_ScreenShot2022-10-28at5_43_52AM.png.0619f687d3befb67c481ea1b03d614ec.png

Probably the most interesting batch came about 3x generations in. You could see the turquoise blue influence on the golden rams on a select few of the fry. I wish I'd kept going with these, but per usual, I got distracted. Here's what that batch looked like. Most are standard gold. But here and there . . . you can see this crazy "blue flame" . . .

Crossing Rams, my guess is that you'll begin to observe some more defined traits after breeding several generations in. Of course inbreeding is risky. Always start with two unrelated lines. Usually it takes 2nd generation fry to show up something you'll want to "play with."

This guy used to have the best E-blues. Haven't heard much from him at all these last few years. Here's an older tour of his fishroom. Very impressive breeder!

If your Rams are spawning, I'm curious if your eggs are fertile or not? What I do is move the spawning site (rocks, leaf, etc) into a floating flow-through with air. Adding blue or over-the-counter 3% H202 (Hydrogen peroxide) can help mitigate fungus long enough for eggs to hatch. I make mine differently now, but here is a look at the original design -- stolen from Dean...

Here are several videos of Rams being raised in it...

Here are those Ram fry now grown up filmed just recently...

• Love 3

On 10/28/2022 at 3:09 AM, Fish Folk said:

@DiscusLover and @Snjchris interesting conversation here! Couple thoughts, if I may chime in.

My son and I worked on Rams for awhile. When crossing Gold and Electric Blue, we found that fry developed into opal gold / opal blue. It was not until crossing these that some interesting colors began to appear. I tried to chart this awhile back...

1045679160_ScreenShot2022-10-28at5_43_52AM.png.0619f687d3befb67c481ea1b03d614ec.png

Probably the most interesting batch came about 3x generations in. You could see the turquoise blue influence on the golden rams on a select few of the fry. I wish I'd kept going with these, but per usual, I got distracted. Here's what that batch looked like. Most are standard gold. But here and there . . . you can see this crazy "blue flame" . . .

Crossing Rams, my guess is that you'll begin to observe some more defined traits after breeding several generations in. Of course inbreeding is risky. Always start with two unrelated lines. Usually it takes 2nd generation fry to show up something you'll want to "play with."

This guy used to have the best E-blues. Haven't heard much from him at all these last few years. Here's an older tour of his fishroom. Very impressive breeder!

If your Rams are spawning, I'm curious if your eggs are fertile or not? What I do is move the spawning site (rocks, leaf, etc) into a floating flow-through with air. Adding blue or over-the-counter 3% H202 (Hydrogen peroxide) can help mitigate fungus long enough for eggs to hatch. I make mine differently now, but here is a look at the original design -- stolen from Dean...

Here are several videos of Rams being raised in it...

Here are those Ram fry now grown up filmed just recently...

Wow those are very nice looking rams! I believe they are called platinum blue rams, I've seen some online and never really knew about how they were made. 

• Thanks 1