Nano snail eater options

Mr Gumby

Hi Folks,

Just considering stocking options for the new tanks

are there any snail eaters that can 

a) live with nano fish and neo caradina

b) tolerate temperate and tropical temps

I'm hoping to mainly colony breed and obviously feed heavy when fry are around which invariably causes a pond snail explosion

The other option is something to live with white clouds, glowlight danios and a flag fish and just throw my excess snails in that tank as the fish are quick enough and no shrimp.

All tanks will have heaters but the temperate tanks will be set to 20/68 just to prevent them dropping too low

On 10/21/2022 at 12:14 PM, Mr Gumby said:

Hi Folks,

Just considering stocking options for the new tanks

are there any snail eaters that can 

a) live with nano fish and neo caradina

b) tolerate temperate and tropical temps

I'm hoping to mainly colony breed and obviously feed heavy when fry are around which invariably causes a pond snail explosion

The other option is something to live with white clouds, glowlight danios and a flag fish and just throw my excess snails in that tank as the fish are quick enough and no shrimp.

All tanks will have heaters but the temperate tanks will be set to 20/68 just to prevent them dropping too low

Assassin Snails could work. Just you need about 1or so per gallon to make it worthwhile. Good thing is that they don’t breed much and are nicer to look at than pest snails

• Like 1

For nano tanks and tanks you wish for breeding assassin snails are the way to go. I would go less than 1/g though as when I got mine I found info they will eat eggs. I cannot verify that though. I got 3/20gs and 1/10s and they have controlled my bladders though my bladders never really overpopulated but that might give you a starting point. 

• Like 1

Thanks both, assasins are a good shout, however even tho I keep nano fish I dont keep nano tanks 🙂

New rack will be four 36*15*15's which I think works out to roughly 30 gallons US give or take.

Currently have 70+ CPD's in my 65 and there behaviour completely changes the bigger the school you have. The internet says they're a shy fish but not when they have lots of friends 🙂

• Like 1

On 10/21/2022 at 9:40 AM, Mr Gumby said:

The internet says they're a shy fish but not when they have lots of friends 🙂

I keep breeding colonies in 40b and 20l. Mine have never been shy. They rule every tank I have ever kept them in. I think the shy comes from keeping these ultra high energy fish in small tanks and small groups. 

• Like 1