I hate traveling!

Ken Burke

So, since I needed to do another site visit for one of my installations, I chose phoenix. Get to drop in on Mom, see my sister, niece.  Out Monday, visit Tuesday, back Wednesday.  

Flight out on Monday am delayed so left 4 hours late.  

flight out this am, early.  Got to the airport on time. Dropped keys in the lockbox.  Hopped on the bus to the wrong terminal.. that was ok, I could make it if I hurry.  Then I realized I had the keys to my rental.  Drop the keys into my truck in the box.  Had to go back and get mine.  But the rental car place was closed.  Missed my flight.  Had to wait another 5 hours for another flight. 

worse part? Oh I had upgraded to 1st class, but they could not get another first class.  Out 2 bills. 

but I was able to visit a really nice fish store.  Had some really nice discus.  Several nice (huge) tanks.  

enough whining.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/20/2022 at 12:56 AM, Ken Burke said:

So, since I needed to do another site visit for one of my installations, I chose phoenix. Get to drop in on Mom, see my sister, niece.  Out Monday, visit Tuesday, back Wednesday.  

Flight out on Monday am delayed so left 4 hours late.  

flight out this am, early.  Got to the airport on time. Dropped keys in the lockbox.  Hopped on the bus to the wrong terminal.. that was ok, I could make it if I hurry.  Then I realized I had the keys to my rental.  Drop the keys into my truck in the box.  Had to go back and get mine.  But the rental car place was closed.  Missed my flight.  Had to wait another 5 hours for another flight. 

worse part? Oh I had upgraded to 1st class, but they could not get another first class.  Out 2 bills. 

but I was able to visit a really nice fish store.  Had some really nice discus.  Several nice (huge) tanks.  

enough whining.

Sorry to hear that!

Once my family and I were delayed 7 hours in Dubai (siblings really whined A LOT) and when we tried to board, the person at the gate said “Computer say no “ 😒Had to pay a changeover fee of 50 bucks for a couple of clicks😡.

I spent like 21 hours in the Denver airport traveling about 12 years ago.  So miserable.  Work at me slated to go to Houston the week before Thanksgiving and I successfully talked my boss out of that trip last week.  I'm on cloud nine about that.  I could have driven home from Denver, turned around and driven back to Denver and made my eventual flight if I would have been willing to speed a little bit.  

I stay pretty mellow most of the time, but dropping my own keys in the rental return box would have sent me into a really bad place, I suspect.  😨

• Like 1

I love to travel but the flying part can be a pain in the butt! 
My worst experience was when we had scheduled to fly from Kerala, India to Delhi, stay in Delhi overnight then fly from Delhi to Vancouver Canada and then to Seattle(home).  The flight from Kerela was delayed so we ended up going from Kerela to Delhi to Vancouver to Seattle without a break. To make things worse the little puddle jumper from Vancouver to Seattle was stuck on the tarmac for and extra two hours! To make things even worse, my mom, who had been our babysitter was scheduled to fly home an hour after we landed so she ended up needing to leave our then 15 year old daughter in the airport waiting for our flight from Vancouver! 

• Like 2

On 10/20/2022 at 10:58 AM, Patrick_G said:

I love to travel but the flying part can be a pain in the butt! 
My worst experience was when we had scheduled to fly from Kerala, India to Delhi, stay in Delhi overnight then fly from Delhi to Vancouver Canada and then to Seattle(home).  The flight from Kerela was delayed so we ended up going from Kerela to Delhi to Vancouver to Seattle without a break. To make things worse the little puddle jumper from Vancouver to Seattle was stuck on the tarmac for and extra two hours! To make things even worse, my mom, who had been our babysitter was scheduled to fly home an hour after we landed so she ended up needing to leave our then 15 year old daughter in the airport waiting for our flight from Vancouver! 

Beats my best story.  Flying Phoenix to Korea via Portland. Flight to Portland was uneventful, left Portland on time, but 45 min into the 8hour flight had to go back due to a mechanical issue.  By the time they fixed it, the crew did not have enough hours for the flight and they had to call in the standby crew.  Added another 4 hours to the trip.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2022 at 5:46 PM, Ken Burke said:

Beats my best story.  Flying Phoenix to Korea via Portland. Flight to Portland was uneventful, left Portland on time, but 45 min into the 8hour flight had to go back due to a mechanical issue.  By the time they fixed it, the crew did not have enough hours for the flight and they had to call in the standby crew.  Added another 4 hours to the trip.

Was that a military flight? There’s not many Portland to Korea flights these days. 

• Like 1

On 10/20/2022 at 7:37 PM, MAC said:

Going to try the train.

My Dad did an Amtrak tour as his first post divorce holiday still thinks of it as one of the best holidays he's been on. 

My last train journey should have been 1 train 40 mins and became 4 trains and nearly 3 hours. 

But traffic jams are probably the worst at least you can go to the loo at the airport 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...