What plant is this and care tips?

Recently went to Aquashella in chicago and picked up a 5 pack of anubias from one of the vendors and someone offered to swap 2 of them for another plant. Figured it would be cool to have different plants rather than 5 of the same to see what grows and looks the best. Not sure what kind it is, how to plant (on wood or in substrate). Ive left them in the provided planters for now. New to this forum and need help. I know i have 3 anubias plants which look like the first picture. Not sure what the other plants are. Thanks!

100F25F2-0BFF-40E1-B56A-AC652C095802.jpeg

8E5C65D0-E07D-41E7-B0A5-4CAA8B0922AD.jpeg

187B879A-566B-46C8-A4EB-1553C176FB9E.jpeg

I would agree that the first plant pictured above is a type of Anubias.  I have the same plant, purchased at my local PetSmart a year ago and labelled generically as "Anubias."  It was not in the best of shape but is doing very well now with the help of ferts and proper lighting (should be low to medium).  I use both Easy Green and Leaf Zone.  It's been putting out a new leaf almost every month. 

As for the second plant, I'd agree that it might be Bolbitis.  Unfortunately, I have no experience with that species.

• Thanks 1

My guess on the second pair of plants is Bolbitis heudelotii or African Water Fern.  Not quite as easy as Anubias and tends to fade away gradually since it isn’t submerse year round in its native habitat, but sometimes will settle in and do beautifully so it’s worth trying.

The Anubias could be several species or varieties, lanceolata, glabra, congensis, minima, barteri ‘Butterfly’, to name a few.  If I could tell how big that is it might knock out minima.

• Thanks 1

On 10/18/2022 at 11:57 PM, Odd Duck said:

My guess on the second pair of plants is Bolbitis heudelotii or African Water Fern.  Not quite as easy as Anubias and tends to fade away gradually since it isn’t submerse year round in its native habitat, but sometimes will settle in and do beautifully so it’s worth trying.

The Anubias could be several species or varieties, lanceolata, glabra, congensis, minima, barteri ‘Butterfly’, to name a few.  If I could tell how big that is it might knock out minima.

The leaves on the “African Water fern” kinda remind me of a small parsley or cilantro plant haha. Found a better picture of it online. For anyone that needs an example. Thanks!spacer.png

Edited by MannyThakk
  • Like 1