daphnia, pros and cons needed

KittenFishMom

@totrees I think I struck it rich.

I have just noticed I have a 40 gallon tote that is full of green water from this summer. It has had a stick in it so the squirrels and chipmunks can escape.  The frogs have been hanging out there all summer. A lot of the time there has been a layer of duckweed on it. I scooped out a container of the water tonight and added some daphnia. the water was so cloudy, I could hardly see the daphnia so I added half well water. the daphnia are extremely active.

Does anyone know the ratio of green water to non-green water is good for daphnia? We have a lot of empty bottles and will gather the green water before it freezes. Probably put it in the basement at home with some grow lights.

@KittenFishMom I don't think you can store green water so much as you can grow it. If you bottle it, it will need sunlight and nutrients and fresh air to stay alive, otherwise the algae will die and it will be foul. No I don't know how much light or nutrients, but I would guess a lot of the former and a wee wee bit of the latter. 

Took some more pics for you, when I harvested my cultures last night.

After I collect water (with daphnias in it) from the tank, I pour it through a reuseable coffee filter.

IMG_8729.jpg.6ebdc00d55e6857d908bb59a50fffa83.jpg

I use a turkey baster to sluice/pour the daphnias from the filter to a deli cup (squeeze water from a baster into the filter on an angle, so the daphnias pour out of the filter into a deli cup). 

IMG_8731.jpg.0715fceb012563ea460fb183d14eecb6.jpg

Then I pour the contents of the deli cup through a fish net, to separate the large daphnia from the small.

IMG_8733.jpg.ae113d4f64c2dec5be99972b6f3002bc.jpg

That gives me big daphias for adult fish, and tiny ones for fry tanks. Then feed.

IMG_8736.jpg.7ec77b8f8e8e6c8617b5b492f6f2044f.jpg

IMG_8734.jpg

@TOtrees These photos are really great.

Something odd is your daphnia are oblong and darker at one end. My daphnia are dark gray spheres.  Maybe they are not daphnia? They are still in the fish tanks, even several days after a day of fasting the tanks.

The water quality is better on all 4 tanks.  The guppies swim right by my "daphnia" but go nuts for betta beads that they can not get in their mouths. They swim around like they are playing a strange version of soccer. Stealing the betta beads from each other. So it isn't that my daphnia are too big.

My Daphnia swim around and are attacked to light if it is dark.

I wonder what they are?

My wonderful husband is taking more with his camera.

My daphnia from my cell phone:

daphnia.jpg.490adf790fb0a1a4a11e3fc1a9596ec3.jpg

Edited by KittenFishMom
added 1st photo

There are many species of Daphnia, and they can look a little different depending on what they have in their gut and whether they are mature and carrying eggs. I always think they look like fat little rats with ginormous antlers, and the antlers are used like boat oars except on their head.

I collect my Daphnia from ponds in my local forest. This year for the first time, I saw some that looked very different from normal, but I’m reasonably sure they were just a different form of the same thing.

I think the video is in slow motion. You can see they are more spherical and much bigger than other Daphnia shown. But I think they’re still Daphnia because of the general similarity in the arrangement of things in the body, and if you look closely they appear to have those funny antler things. My hypothesis is they are a different form or lifestage of the regular Daphnia I see you collect that only appears occasionally for some reason rather.

Are these like what you’re seeing? The only fish I had that were even remotely interested in eating them were a couple of adult golden wonder killifish.

Edited by TOtrees

I normally only collect in spring and fall when the mosquitoes are not around. I hate bug spray and I can't think straight while being swamming on a dock.

I thought you fed the daphnia to your fish, but you said you fish did not eat them. Maybe you meant the did not eat these round ones.

Maybe my guys are getting a heavy "coat" for overwintering in the mud on the shore?

@TOtrees My husband took a bunch more photos. I will added his photos

755221457_daphbig.jpg.5ab04460b4134f1f78af0db55a950264.jpg

IMG_0670_Daphnaea_Cropped.jpg.1596b7c0c14fa4254d25415ea8ebd3b1.jpg

IMG_0667_Daphnaea_cropped.jpg.6f4631b4297f8a603cc9fc02167b639e.jpg

Edited by KittenFishMom

Yes, I meant that mostly the fish don’t eat the ginormous death star ones. The ones from all the other photos in previous posts are consumed with abandon.

I think you might have some kind of aquatic mite in your photos. I can’t tell for sure, but it looks like they have lots of legs which daphnia do not.

@KittenFishMom Definitely water mites. They won't hurt anything in your aquarium. I had some come in with blackworms once. In their juvenile stage they only parasitize on flies. They supposedly taste bad to fish but I don't think they're harmful at all if eaten.

@TOtrees the death stars don't look like Daphnia either. But they're probably closely related. I'd be interested in what they are if you can get a really close photo.

• Thanks 1

@modified lung back in May when I collected them, I spent a ton of time looking for what the Death Stars were. Had no luck at the time. Your comment above that they’re not Daphnia got me looking again today and I’m pretty sure I landed on the right info, finally/eventually.

Found some photos and a YouTube video of clam shrimp or seed shrimp, ie Ostracoda. I’ve heard of seed shrimp before, and seen photos and videos from peoples tanks here and there, but they’ve always been really small and generally indistinct (and grey/brown not red). I’ve also heard the terms seed shrimp and scud (gammarus) used interchangeably - classically confusing scenario of a single common name used for two different taxa.

I think what’s cool is that the pond I collected these from is seasonal and was diminishing rapidly. The red color of the ostracods that matches the daphnias suggests they use the same haemoglobin based mechanism for  transporting oxygen as daphnia (and us). https://www.nature.com/articles/166609a0

• Like 1