AllFishNoBrakes’ Journal

Well, 2 years in and I experienced my first bacterial bloom. I think it was from feeding the Bristlenose Plecos zucchini like 8 or 10 days in a row. I’ve always fed this tank heavy, but I think the zucchini that many days in a row just tipped the scales. Had a small ammonia spike (.25) but I just did a water change and fasted for a day and we’re back on track. Water has cleared up and it’s all good. 

Took this as an opportunity to move some things around, too. The Amazon Sword in the middle was moved to the right and to the back, and the hard scape was rearranged a bit. Also planted some PSO trimmings that have been hanging out in my quarantine tank. 

I normally don’t really move fish around, but I did that for once as well. Bristlenose were moved to the 55 gallon grow out tank as they were destroying my Swords rasping on them all day long. I was trying to deter them from the swords by feeding zucchini so heavily, but obviously that just caused other issues. They can help control algae in the grow out tank so I’ll take that for what’s it’s worth. I also moved a m/f Panda Angel combo as my LFS told me to keep them coming, but that wasn’t working out so well. The male was being super aggressive and the female was hiding behind the breeding slate all the time. I gave it a couple of days and it wasn’t improving so the male got moved over the sponge wall and can help control the Platy population. I’m waiting for my last male Panda to breed with the all black female one last time, and then the male will be moved to the female so hopefully they can pair again to keep the Pandas flowing for the LFS. Only time will tell. 

722464C1-787E-47DD-A0EA-3DA730F5D26D.jpeg

69A2F925-28D0-47FD-9A60-DF214423179A.jpeg

0AC7F125-31FA-44A5-B3C5-C65D960CF7C6.jpeg

• Like 2

@TheSwissAquarist This sword was the first aquatic plant I ever bought. It’s over 2 years old now. Started in a 10 gallon and then got moved to a 29 gallon. Stayed there forever and took over the tank. Right before I moved it to the 55 I cut off the runner, chopped off all the little swords and those are starting to grow out now. This is now the second time this giant sword had produced babies for me. 

• Like 1

On 10/24/2022 at 5:13 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

@TheSwissAquarist This sword was the first aquatic plant I ever bought. It’s over 2 years old now. Started in a 10 gallon and then got moved to a 29 gallon. Stayed there forever and took over the tank. Right before I moved it to the 55 I cut off the runner, chopped off all the little swords and those are starting to grow out now. This is now the second time this giant sword had produced babies for me. 

Drat. I got rid of my last sword just before the 1 year mark🤦‍♂️! I was moving, but still…

• Like 1

Another day of maintenance means another journal post! Some fun stuff happened this week:

AF8BC0C9-6994-40F6-9457-AEF801A382F8.jpeg
Fish I traded last week got me store credit, and I used it on hard scape. the Seiryu Stone in the back right and the light piece of Spiderwood are the new additions. Took out a bunch of duckweed and thinned out the water lettuce as well. Vac’d a TON of mulm, but still obviously more to get out. All in due time. This tank is getting there, but is still missing something. The journey continues.

ACDB010E-68E3-49D5-B870-1F89934F4E4A.jpeg
The Dragonstone in the back to the right is also a new addition here. I love this tank. The PSO is out of control!

FCA03533-935F-4D85-8B40-2760E6546ADE.jpeg
PSO in the above tank is trying to grow emersed. Fun!

F1313A7B-88BD-4665-A5F9-498CF6681881.jpeg
Amano in the Walstad cube was laying on the bed of Pearl Weed. Too good not to take a snapshot of.

DA71DB12-9CEC-464E-8B50-71BAE99412AF.jpeg
Rotala Indica trying to grow emersed in a bed of duckweed.

EF0ED71F-DB56-4E9A-95A7-3DFFDB9C59E4.jpeg
I passively bred some Gold Tetras! Didn’t try to, at all. I have some Endler/Guppies in here so I just assumed all the fry were them. Took a closer look and was shocked to see some were Tetras! Add that one to the “have bred” list, I guess. 

Another week of maintenance done. Now, to sit back and enjoy the fruits of my labor. 

Edited by AllFishNoBrakes
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

Another week, another journal update. 

Nothing of note this week, really. Just cruising right along. Did water changes and squeezed a couple filters. Reset some no clog air stones. Up and coming batch of Angels are doing well. Still need to work on making another Panda Angel pair o keep those flowing to the LFS. I guess that’s the project I need to put some more effort into. Enjoy a shot of my 2 favorite tanks in the house. Both 29’s with c02. 

9827F40C-D9AE-4934-8D2B-20BC63E78F48.jpeg

34BF6C65-B48C-4AD3-BF25-D226B119950C.jpeg

Edited by AllFishNoBrakes
  • Like 2

So… Interesting development. The Kribensis continue to haunt me. I took the last 32 of the Kribs I had to the fish store exactly 2 weeks ago to the day. Fast forward to today, and I see some little movements in the old Krib tank. Turns out, I have ~10 Krib fry in this tank!! Apparently, the pair I kept in this tank spawned one last time before I sent them to the LFS. The Kribs had one final surprise in store. I swear these Kribs will be the death of me. 

E68732E8-F2D4-4277-9491-E98B09635C1E.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 11/4/2022 at 3:01 AM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

So… Interesting development. The Kribensis continue to haunt me. I took the last 32 of the Kribs I had to the fish store exactly 2 weeks ago to the day. Fast forward to today, and I see some little movements in the old Krib tank. Turns out, I have ~10 Krib fry in this tank!! Apparently, the pair I kept in this tank spawned one last time before I sent them to the LFS. The Kribs had one final surprise in store. I swear these Kribs will be the death of me. 

E68732E8-F2D4-4277-9491-E98B09635C1E.jpeg

Thats what you call vengeful!

Still out here just doing it. Water changes done, scraped some glass, squeezed some sponges in the HOB’s. Did a water change on every tank in the house and was pretty efficient today. 

Snatched up some snails for the Pea Puffers, and moved a male Panda Angel to hopefully pair with the female again. I’m ready for more Panda babies!

Need to make a couple spawning mops to start playing with the Rainbows. I think the Furcata’s are of age, the Praecox still seem pretty young to me but what do I know? Basically nothing is the answer to that question. We keep it moving over here regardless, though. 

E791B9F1-2F8B-440A-B46A-F7AD51B70D8E.jpeg

0C4F1FB1-02F7-4935-955D-6ADD621D92B6.jpeg

73E6E99F-0420-41E3-A3E5-DCA9597891AF.jpeg

A048A39B-92CA-4DB2-8546-9EB0A42E756C.jpeg

• Like 1

On 11/10/2022 at 1:29 AM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

Need to make a couple spawning mops to start playing with the Rainbows. I think the Furcata’s are of age, the Praecox still seem pretty young to me but what do I know? Basically nothing is the answer to that question. We keep it moving over here regardless, though

I'm told that floating mops work best when it comes to rainbows if that helps.

Took these shots and wanted to share here. 

Sword babies (Swordlets?!) are coming along nicely. These ones are actually sprouting roots while still on the runner. I count 5, with what looks like a couple more coming. I’ll probably let them go until maintenance day next week and then chop them off and plant them. 

Angel gang is looking good. There’s probably 40-50 of them. Definitely the biggest spawn I’ve done. They’ll probably stay in this 10 gallon grow out for another week or two and then I’ll move them to the 55 grow out. 

FC998F0B-F0A7-44C7-B434-A5D068FC93F5.jpeg

029CEED6-8E0B-48B1-A6DA-EA916213E2CC.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Today my TDS meter that I bought on Amazon showed up and I played around with it a bit. Essentially, I spent a couple bucks to confirm something I already knew; where I live has soft water. 

The gallon jug of distilled water I have on hand read 1ppm. 40ppm out of the tap. All tanks (with the exception of a single tank!) between 70-80ppm. The one anomaly is my 29 gallon that tested at 118ppm. This is also one of my longest running tanks. I haven’t been able to pinpoint what has caused this single tank to be higher ppm than the rest, but it’s interesting for sure. 

I’m also completely aware that TDS is basically useless as it doesn’t tell you what the dissolved solids are actually comprised of, but after nearly 3 years in the hobby I thought it was worth the 10 bucks to have a toy to play with. 

Until the next water change my friends. Cheers. 

• Like 1