Semi-budget 40g Breeder Aquascape Journal

Schuyler

On 12/9/2022 at 9:57 AM, Minanora said:

Is that a black saddle guppy male? Or is he just a fancy guppy?

Just fancy I think. I got him from a female that was pregnant when I bought her from a big box store. If I remember right she was labeled "assorted females" but I think I've seen her coloration described as "tequila sunrise" online (although it was more of a low grade probably). The only reason I remember was because we named her Sol and the black/blue one we named Luna. I'm guessing names are going to start going away pretty quickly now as the numbers go up.

• Like 1

Did a water change this morning because I'm going to be busy most of tomorrow. Alkalinity and KH are finally coming up but pH still lower that it probably should be for the fish I have.

PXL_20221209_161155496.jpg.ca760fa8c2183b15eaf6e1317f5c8fd7.jpg

Also cleaned the pre-filter sponge. I'm considering raising it up to open more space to plant stuff. Or even getting a smaller sponge. It take up a large portion of the right side 

PXL_20221209_154348327.jpg.ed07035e9e7df13944a45c7ca7457e20.jpg

I also tried stirring up waste on the bottom of the plants and between the rocks to get sucked up while doing the water change. There was still a decent amount after that was done so I used the filter intake like a vacuum to get as much of the remainder out of the water.

• Like 1

PXL_20221210_180045219.jpg.9ab4394dd3ace1ed7e1fda31e985d722.jpg

We went to visit grandma and grandpa today and ended up getting there really early. But what's this? There's a little LFS that has really good reviews on Google maps? I guess we'll have to go there and kill some time.

Turned out to be a great little mom and pop place (I think the owners were husband and wife and are the only workers there). They were super friendly and it turned out they had Florida flag fish. I didn't get any though because we weren't going to be home for hours. They also had clown killis. I didn't realize how small they are. Figured they were neon tera size based on pictures/videos. Another fish that caught my eye was a sparkling dwarf gourami which they had labeled as a being a peaceful community fish.

They also said they they have found that hydra are attracted to cuddle fish bones and that they have used them as a sort of bait trap in their shrimp tank. I got a chunk to try it out and see if they really do congregate on it.

Definitely going to have to go visit grandma and grandpa again soon so we can visit the store again.

After getting home, I tested the tank and the TDS is finally up where it probably should be and it's staying there.

PXL_20221211_050213394.jpg.c796bb3b6836689fbaac133238ec7e6f.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

You can bring an insulated cooler next time!

My LFS is really close to our Costco. So I bring my "fish cooler" with me when I go. I have a large igloo lunch cooler that we got for Christmas a few years back. It fits two of those "family size" deli meat Tupperware containers perfectly, which keeps bags in place. I use this cooler too bring them fish and when I buy fish or plants.

I generally have them bag 4 fish per bag, depending on size. I've ran errends for 6 hours with this cooler in the car. It's great, keeps them in the dark, keeps them stable, warm or cool depending on the time of year. The shape of the lid gives space for tall bags when needed, I also can fit the co-op insulated shipping bag inside for extra protection.

I love this cooler, though I'm not a big fan of igloo coolers or ice chests usually.

391377631_Screenshot_20221211_073903_AmazonShopping.jpg.c31aa4ea2b692c63fa2ad845c718e0f2.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 12/11/2022 at 7:52 AM, Minanora said:

You can bring an insulated cooler next time!

I generally have them bag 4 fish per bag, depending on size. I've ran errends for 6 hours with this cooler in the car. It's great, keeps them in the dark, keeps them stable, warm or cool depending on the time of year. 

I'll definitely do that. I have an insulated lunch box that should be perfect.

I just thought that you don't want fish to be in the bag more than an hour or two or they would run out of oxygen.

I also need to set up a proper quarantine tank before getting anything else but I'm not allowed to buy more stuff until after Christmas.

I can understand your concern.

I always tell them when I'm going to run errands. Less fish per bag, 50% or less water.

When you consider that fish get shipped two day shipping and survive in the same situation. Only difference being that they are usually fasted before.

Good luck not buying stuff before Christmas. 🤣 I'm trying to be good as well.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2022 at 9:46 PM, Schuyler said:

Turned out to be a great little mom and pop place (I think the owners were husband and wife and are the only workers there). They were super friendly and it turned out they had Florida flag fish. I didn't get any though because we weren't going to be home for hours. They also had clown killis. I didn't realize how small they are. Figured they were neon tera size based on pictures/videos. Another fish that caught my eye was a sparkling dwarf gourami which they had labeled as a being a peaceful community fish.

That place near Port Orchard? It's a nice store and literally the definition of a mom and pop. 

• Like 1

On 12/11/2022 at 1:44 PM, Patrick_G said:

I'm on Vashon so I get up that way occasionally.  The LFS that's in a feed store is also interesting, old school but decent. 

Oh depending on where you live you may be able to see my parents house.

I've always been curious about that one. Aquariums and animal feed feels like an odd combo. Someone told be that they have blackworms sometimes.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2022 at 5:27 PM, Schuyler said:

Oh depending on where you live you may be able to see my parents house.

I've always been curious about that one. Aquariums and animal feed feels like an odd combo. Someone told be that they have blackworms sometimes.

I’m mid island near Burton so no view to the west. We’ve considered moving over to the Southworth/Manchester area now that there’s a passenger ferry to Seattle. 

Yeah, the feed store place does seem to have a regular supply of blackworms and the price isn’t too bad. Don’t expect aquarium co-op levels of cleanliness in the store, but I’ve bought some nice healthy fish them. 

• Like 1

This weekend I got a $50 ACO gift card as an early Christmas present from a family friend. I'm thinking I'll save it for next time I'm in that area so it can be used on fish. But it's kinda burning a hole in my pocket...

My son helped me set up a little area to try and hatch out the Notho. Guentheri we have. I'll probably make a separate thread for that (depending on if we see fry or not).

PXL_20221213_205958252.jpg.53c515519bcddbb33d2eadc16c397f53.jpgPXL_20221213_210027788.jpg.afb80563d039e6c52070933d60f85d75.jpg

The container on the right has roughly a gallon of water from taken from my other tanks (some from the shrimp tank because it's crawling with microorganisms because they have no predators).

The only problem is that as I was syphoning water from the main tank I looked away and felt a thump... It was the female Killifish coming up to see what I was doing. Hopefully she's not too hurt.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2022 at 5:58 AM, Schuyler said:

It's hard to count but I think we've pulled at least 20 fry from the container with the dirt. We can also see unhatched eggs still in there and I know there are some that I missed still in there.

Sometimes eggs only hatch the second time they come into contact with water - prevents wild populations from being wiped out by a bit of rain that dries up quickly.

• Like 2

Checked the killi fry first thing this morning and found five more. I told my wife about it before getting ready for work. I guess she wanted to one up me because by the time I was out of the shower she had caught seven more! In all the are probably 30-35.

These things are too small for the BBS batch that was meant to go to them so now I'm giving them some hikari first bites and some of my infusoria culture (at least I hope there's infusoria in there). A package with a large vinegar eel culture should be getting here Friday.

PXL_20221215_015655489.jpg.2aca8573799ccb775e348439fd707bec.jpg

In the main tank, the female killi that for sucked up seems unscathed. The guppy fry are happily eating the rapashi food gel and seemed interested in the first bites.

• Like 4

On 12/15/2022 at 4:23 AM, Schuyler said:

Checked the killi fry first thing this morning and found five more. I told my wife about it before getting ready for work. I guess she wanted to one up me because by the time I was out of the shower she had caught seven more! In all the are probably 30-35.

These things are too small for the BBS batch that was meant to go to them so now I'm giving them some hikari first bites and some of my infusoria culture (at least I hope there's infusoria in there). A package with a large vinegar eel culture should be getting here Friday.

PXL_20221215_015655489.jpg.2aca8573799ccb775e348439fd707bec.jpg

In the main tank, the female killi that for sucked up seems unscathed. The guppy fry are happily eating the rapashi food gel and seemed interested in the first bites.

Congratulations on the fry! I can’t wait to see how they develop!

On 12/15/2022 at 6:32 AM, Minanora said:

Super cool. They are so cute! Tiny fish! 😍 You're doing a great job

I can't take too much credit for this batch. Someone have the eggs to me so basically all I did was put them in storage for a few months and drop them in water lol

Turns out northos are fin nippers! I'm not sure this still counts as a "nip". I think this is why his tail was looking a bit rough before.

PXL_20221216_011121782.jpg.ac3e943c4074d77563462df162779294.jpg

It's a bit hard to see in the picture but his tail is missing a chunk. I probably should isolate one of them for a bit but I'm kinda low on spots to put them.

I was a bit worried that the killi fry went eating. They are so tiny that is hard to tell if they are eating or just swimming. After comparing pictures it's pretty clear that their bellies are bigger. So they're eating something in the.

I also added two snails to clean up some of the dead BBS and leftover foods.

PXL_20221215_221130172.jpg.e565837848e70adb665a97bd0990127d.jpg

They also seen to just keep coming. Every time we go to empty it out we find one or two stragglers still lurking.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Found a dead killi fry today while cleaning their container. It's sad but I assumed there would be losses when it's dozens of sesame seed size fry. On the other hand , the were two more fry they hatched and I definitely saw a fry eat a BBS so that's comforting. They are still just tiny squiggles but now they have fat, pink bellies. 

PXL_20221217_023534484.jpg.858cc26feaed0538fe7611f482936331.jpg

The guppy's tail was looking even more ragged tonight so I moved him in with the guppy fry. That seems like the safest arrangement for now. All I did to catch him was lower a cup into the water and he swam right in. The hardest part was not letting the others follow.

• Like 2
  • Love 1