Semi-budget 40g Breeder Aquascape Journal

Schuyler

After months of gathering, bartering, trading, scraping, boiling, soaking, cleaning, and most of all waiting we have finally started setting up our 40 gallon breeder tank.

The plan is for it to be a heavily planted community tank stocked mostly with fish that are described as "easy to breed". We already have guppies and cherry shrimp in our current 14g. The plan is to move them over once things are cycled. Odds are some ramshorns will tag along for the ride...

Once things are established the plan is to add three honey gourami (1 male 2 female) and some hill stream loach or otos (maybe both...).

For now the next steps are

1) Get a lid

2) Get substrate

3) Get a light

4) Settle on a final hardscape layout and glue things in place

5) Order some more plants

PXL_20221009_221147303.jpg

Edited by Schuyler
Updating thumbnail
  • Like 7
  • Love 1

That looks really good so far! I did a frugal build for the 75g in my sig. Some things that helped me stretch my budget:

- Mixing some pea gravel with the expensive aquasoil to get more coverage per $$, then capping it with cheap pool filter sand. 

-Using mesh bags of gravel as a base for the scape. This also helped limit the use of expensive substrate. 

-Cheap lights from Amazon. I used Nicrew, but Hygger and others are almost identical. Buy one to start and add another if necessary. 

-I ended up with an Aquaclear filter, but Aquarium co-op sponge filters are clearly the hobby’s best deal in filtration. 

-My biggest budget item was plants. I tried to get as much plant mass as possible and ended up spending about $225 for my initial purchase. 

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/10/2022 at 8:23 AM, Patrick_G said:

That looks really good so far! I did a frugal build for the 75g in my sig. Some things that helped me stretch my budget:

- Mixing some pea gravel with the expensive aquasoil to get more coverage per $$, then capping it with cheap pool filter sand. 

-Using mesh bags of gravel as a base for the scape. This also helped limit the use of expensive substrate. 

-Cheap lights from Amazon. I used Nicrew, by Hygger and Others are almost identical. Buy one to start and add another if necessary. 

-I ended up with an Aquaclear filter, but Aquarium co-op sponge filters are clearly the hobby’s best deal in filtration. 

-My biggest budget item was plants. I tried to get as much plant mass as possible and ended up spending about $225 for my initial purchase. 

Hmm I may do that with the gravel aquasoil in back. I may not even cap it in back or possibly I'll use black diamond blasting sand. Everything in front of going to be lighter colored sand I have left over possibly mixed with pool sand if I need more.

I already have a decent amount of plants. I got subs plants by trading extra hardscape I had collected and a CO2 tank someone gave me when they were selling me a tank.

There are some plants I plan on ordering from co-op like a lily.

Is there any type off pool sand specifically I should look for is I plan on doing that?

PXL_20220928_154754731.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 10/10/2022 at 8:43 AM, Schuyler said:

Is there any type off pool sand specifically I should look for is I plan on doing that?

I used HTC sand from Ace Hardware. I think there might be two different grit sizes, but I’m not sure. I’ve bought three bags and one seems a little more fine. 
The only problem I’ve found with using aquasoil and light colored sand is that the aquasoil invariably migrates to the top. It’s not a big deal but it bothers me a little bit. Several times I’ve  put a thin layer of new sand down to cover it up. 

• Thanks 1

Yesterday I glued everything in place (and some things to my fingers) once that was very I filled in gaps with filter floss to (hopefully) keep the back substrate separated from the sand. This morning my son helped me wash and spread the sand around as well as stick some Java moss in cracks.

Tonight I plan on getting the lid and my Hygger light is supposed to arrive today. It was relatively cheap but I've heard they are at least decent.

If all goes right I'm hoping to put in my back substrate: eco Complete mixed with UN Contosoil. I went with eco Complete because it's supposed to make cycling faster. A book I checked out from the library suggested doing a layer of nutrient rich soil and I'm not brave enough to go full on dirted tank so I decided to go with an aqua soil. I chose UN Contosoil because it's what my LPS sold and I wanted to give them some actual business after my months of lurking and pestering then with questions.

If things go really well I may even move some of my epiphytes from my other tanks.

Also, soon I should be a card carrying member of the Greater Seattle Area Aquarium Society. Partly because I get a discount and partly because I want to try and use the hobby as a way of connecting with new people. 

PXL_20221012_160638590.jpg

PXL_20221012_155837635.jpg

PXL_20221012_134857916.jpg

16655912655865934987258087730280.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 4

Still don't have a real lid yet but I my light arrived today. I tried some Christmas moss to some of the sticks. That would have been much easier if I had thought to do that before gluing them down. Tip for people trying to use fishing line: learn how to tie a nail knot! I realized half way through that I was using fishing line it only made sense to use fishing knots to tie it off. It works really well.

I also added a dry start coconut hut with moss that I made with my son as an excitement.

Added 5g of water so that I could move some established sand from my other tank. That may not be totally needed to add the water but I was worried there could be chlorine in the water that I used to rinse the sand and I didn't want that killing off the bacteria I was adding.

Also finally got rid of the last of my sticks that didn't make it into the tank.

Looks like a few tiny ramshorns hitchhiked along with the sand. Oh well, probably inevitable...

Tomorrow I'm hoping to add the substrate in the back and stick in at least some of the places. Maybe even fill up and add the filter... Maybe

16657218023367200008638269403057.jpg

PXL_20221014_041442979.jpg

PXL_20221014_040757705.jpg

• Like 1

Added lots of plants to the hardscape and some val in the sand. Didn't really realize just how many Anubias and Java Fern I had plus two tiny buce someone gave me. It was kinda tricky finding good spots for all of them.

I added the eco Complete and the controsoil. I expected it to stink but there wasn't really much of a small at all... Hopefully that's a good sign. I'm pretty sure I was too rough on the controsoil because when I added more water things got pretty cloudy.

Tomorrow is going to be a big day. Hopefully I'll get things in a semi finished state.

PXL_20221015_034324193.jpg

PXL_20221015_045743024.jpg

PXL_20221015_053804715.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/15/2022 at 7:53 AM, Schuyler said:

Added lots of plants to the hardscape and some val in the sand. Didn't really realize just how many Anubias and Java Fern I had plus two tiny buce someone gave me. It was kinda tricky finding good spots for all of them.

I added the eco Complete and the controsoil. I expected it to stink but there wasn't really much of a small at all... Hopefully that's a good sign. I'm pretty sure I was too rough on the controsoil because when I added more water things got pretty cloudy.

Tomorrow is going to be a big day. Hopefully I'll get things in a semi finished state.

PXL_20221015_034324193.jpg

PXL_20221015_045743024.jpg

PXL_20221015_053804715.jpg

Can't wait to see the finished product!!

I need some advice from some veteran aquarists. Should I use the full spray bar across the back to get more aeration and flow or should I use half and the left so that it's pointed towards the intake? Does it even matter? Is the spray bar even any good? I bought it because it was on clearance and it seemed like a good way to get more surface agitation.

Big day today!

Set up the filter and spray bar. Still need to adjust the length of the intake. Didn't really think of that part...

First think that happened when I opened the canister: my son picked up the media rack and dropped it on my toes. I'll spare you the picture but they are black and blue (bio rings are heavy).

Pulled some bio rings and sand from my established tank. In a few days I'll ring out the sponge but I'm nervous that could crash the old tank if I need with it's bacteria too much. Hopefully between that, the bottled bacteria, and the eco complete that this won't take too long to cycle (fingers crossed). It looks like there may already be a bacterial bloom but that could just as easily be from not washing the sand enough. Not really sure how to tell the difference yet.

Filled the tank up and added some of my stem plants. I left some in my smaller tank for my other fish and shrimp while this tank cycles.

PSA: Check your aquarium lid better you bring it home. I picked one up just before the are closed, got home, opened the box, and it's broken...

Still don't have a lid.

Still need more plants (underestimated how big a 40g breeder is)

PXL_20221015_224631952.jpg

PXL_20221015_224639135.jpg

PXL_20221016_033228765.jpg

• Like 3

On 10/16/2022 at 7:10 AM, Schuyler said:

I need some advice from some veteran aquarists. Should I use the full spray bar across the back to get more aeration and flow or should I use half and the left so that it's pointed towards the intake? Does it even matter? Is the spray bar even any good? I bought it because it was on clearance and it seemed like a good way to get more surface agitation.

Big day today!

Set up the filter and spray bar. Still need to adjust the length of the intake. Didn't really think of that part...

First think that happened when I opened the canister: my son picked up the media rack and dropped it on my toes. I'll spare you the picture but they are black and blue (bio rings are heavy).

Pulled some bio rings and sand from my established tank. In a few days I'll ring out the sponge but I'm nervous that could crash the old tank if I need with it's bacteria too much. Hopefully between that, the bottled bacteria, and the eco complete that this won't take too long to cycle (fingers crossed). It looks like there may already be a bacterial bloom but that could just as easily be from not washing the sand enough. Not really sure how to tell the difference yet.

Filled the tank up and added some of my stem plants. I left some in my smaller tank for my other fish and shrimp while this tank cycles.

PSA: Check your aquarium lid better you bring it home. I picked one up just before the are closed, got home, opened the box, and it's broken...

Still don't have a lid.

Still need more plants (underestimated how big a 40g breeder is)

PXL_20221015_224631952.jpg

PXL_20221015_224639135.jpg

PXL_20221016_033228765.jpg

I expect it’ll look great once all the plants have grown in. I think @tolstoy21 is the one to ask on the spray bar thingy, as he’s currently building a fish room.

Spoiler: It looks AMAZING 

• Thanks 1

In a bit of a holding pattern for now as I let it cycle.

I added a bunch of fish food yesterday. Tested today and 0ppm ammonia. That said, I'm also not seeing nitrates or nitrites. Today I'm adding at least double the fish food to see if I can get any kind of reading. Also throwing in a few ramshorns.

I do see what like like bacterial bloom on she of the wood which is reassuring (I think).

I've decided to stick with the spray bar across the back for now. That seems to give everything an even but slower flow.

I have more plants to add once I take down my smaller tank but for now this if probably all I'll do.

Maybe in get some val and a lily but I'm not sure.

PXL_20221017_161556575.jpg

PXL_20221017_161551292.jpg

PXL_20221017_153116384.jpg

Still not reading any ammonia but it does look like nitrites and nitrates are starting to show up ever so faintly. I'll wait on adding more food for now.

After testing the water I added a tiny bit of crushed coral to the filter (like 2 tbsp maybe) in a media bag.

I also rang out the sponges for my other tanks into a bucket and sucked that up in my new filter to hopefully help seed things more. But if the tests are correct it's looking like cycling is well under way.

Fingers crossed we'll be able to add our first fish in this weekend!

The new lid I got isn't quite lined up correctly so you kinda have to push it in. I ended up taking the handle off and switching it to the other side. I used fishing line and a razor blades to get the adhesive for the handle off. It works fine now that the wonky piece is in back. Hopefully that stress doesn't crack the lid...

PXL_20221018_152147706.jpg

PXL_20221018_145730499.jpg

• Like 1

I'm not sure I trust these strips...

I really need to just get one of the real test kits. I'm planning on asking for one for Christmas.

They are reading some nitrates and nitrites. But it also looks like it's reading nitrates in my tap water. Here is a comparison between testing my tap and testing my aquarium.

I may try hanging a piece of shrimp in a media bag. I read online that's a good way of introducing more ammonia without adding waste on the bottom of your tank.

In good news the water looks to be clearing up!

PXL_20221019_151515756.jpg

PXL_20221019_195222821.jpg

On 10/19/2022 at 10:40 PM, Schuyler said:

I'm not sure I trust these strips...

I really need to just get one of the real test kits. I'm planning on asking for one for Christmas.

They are reading some nitrates and nitrites. But it also looks like it's reading nitrates in my tap water. Here is a comparison between testing my tap and testing my aquarium.

I may try hanging a piece of shrimp in a media bag. I read online that's a good way of introducing more ammonia without adding waste on the bottom of your tank.

In good news the water looks to be clearing up!

PXL_20221019_151515756.jpg

PXL_20221019_195222821.jpg

What brand are those? Somehow test strips can ‘go off’ (like food).

On 10/19/2022 at 9:39 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

What brand are those? Somehow test strips can ‘go off’ (like food).

It's JNW Testing I got them because they were like 75% off during that prime day thing couple weeks ago.

It almost looks like it's reading more chlorine in my conditioned tank water than in my tap water

Nitrates are going up and nitrites seem... The same?

Looks like this are going well. Hardness and PH seem like they haven't budged at all due to the crushed coral.

I went to the LFS and saw a little Egger's Killifish who may have thrown a wrench in my tank plans... It's so cool looking.

Fish plans now:

Definitely (because I already have them):  Guppies, cherry shrimp, ramshorns 

Possible centerpieces: Egger's Killifish or sunset honey gourami 

Highly likely: pepper corys, neon tetras, otos

Cool things I'm thinking about getting: hillstream loach, scarlet badis, peacock gudgeon

Maybe I need to make a spreadsheet of their temps and water parameters

PXL_20221020_162609229.jpg

PXL_20221020_151545839.jpg

PXL_20221020_191144473.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/20/2022 at 11:07 PM, Schuyler said:

scarlet badis,

Leave them out as they only really eat live foods and may not get enough to eat with all the guppies and stuff getting the lions share.

On 10/20/2022 at 11:07 PM, Schuyler said:

Nitrates are going up and nitrites seem... The same?

Looks like this are going well. Hardness and PH seem like they haven't budged at all due to the crushed coral.

I went to the LFS and saw a little Egger's Killifish who may have thrown a wrench in my tank plans... It's so cool looking.

Fish plans now:

Definitely (because I already have them):  Guppies, cherry shrimp, ramshorns 

Possible centerpieces: Egger's Killifish or sunset honey gourami 

Highly likely: pepper corys, neon tetras, otos

Cool things I'm thinking about getting: hillstream loach, scarlet badis, peacock gudgeon

Maybe I need to make a spreadsheet of their temps and water parameters

PXL_20221020_162609229.jpg

PXL_20221020_151545839.jpg

PXL_20221020_191144473.jpg

Can’t wait to see the end product!

• Thanks 1

Noticed that my tank wasn't actually level this morning. Added some more for protectors to raise up the front of the stand and make it basically level.

Nitrates/nitrites seem to be the same? I'm going to take a water sample in to the LFS tomorrow and compare their results to what my strip is saying. Maybe even grab a few plants and see which fish my kids like

PXL_20221021_204103608.jpg

PXL_20221021_195900746.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like there may be no nitrites.

Did a 50% water change and tried to pick up any fish food debris left over. Then I hung a media bag with some little shrimp that were starting to turn. After a few hours I pulled them out because the ammonia smell was too much. Smells like a litter box that hasn't been changed in weeks. The strip said 0.5 ppm ammonia.

The smell seems to be dieing down fairly quickly. I'll test tomorrow again to see what's left.

PXL_20221022_164843141.jpg

PXL_20221022_180529512.jpg

On 10/23/2022 at 2:30 AM, Schuyler said:

Looks like there may be no nitrites.

Did a 50% water change and tried to pick up any fish food debris left over. Then I hung a media bag with some little shrimp that were starting to turn. After a few hours I pulled them out because the ammonia smell was too much. Smells like a litter box that hasn't been changed in weeks. The strip said 0.5 ppm ammonia.

The smell seems to be dieing down fairly quickly. I'll test tomorrow again to see what's left.

PXL_20221022_164843141.jpg

PXL_20221022_180529512.jpg

Any idea about stocking?

On 10/22/2022 at 11:10 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Any idea about stocking?

I'm going with 3 sunset honey gourami as the centerpiece fish. The Eggersi Killifish only has a 6-16 month lifespan.

Other than them, the guppies, and the shrimp I'm not sure. I'm open to suggestions.

-----------------------------

Yesterday the was 0.5 ppm ammonia. This morning tests show 0 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm nitrites, and ~15 ppm nitrates.

I'm cautiously optimistic that I can start introducing my first fish.