Gluing plants

Stan Z

I had an interesting conversation with a clerk in the aquatics dept of my Petco. Or rather, non conversation, because she tried to control everything I was saying. One thing she said I found curious. She said you should never glue anything in an aquarium because it leaches bad things into the water. Out of all the people I have listened to, either in person, in print or video, no one has ever said anything about that. 
She criticized my use of sand in my second tank and on and on. 

• Confused 1

Unfortunately there are a number of people in the hobby that insist that everything be done a very specific way, whether or not their advice is the best. I think this community does a great job of understanding that there are many ways to achieve the same goal, and also that it's okay to have different goals in fishkeeping. 

Cyanoacrylate AKA Super Glue Gel is aquarium safe. Just let it dry first.  

• Like 1

The clerk was disagreeable. She was like, No! Don’t use sand! I said, but I already did. Not gonna throw it out. 
clerk: well put some of THIS substrate on top of it. Me: no, I want the sand. 
through the whole conversation. 😂😂

so the clerk was one of those people who are "you must do exactly as i say or everything is going to die". id just ignore that person.

On 10/4/2022 at 1:11 PM, Luciferkrist said:

Then you really have nothing to worry about. Superglue and its contemporaries are probably safer than MOST of the artificial decorations you see for sale. Who knows that is in those paints, plastics, or ceramics?

super glue is pretty darned safe, its original purpose was for gluing wounds shut.

• Like 2

I glue underwater on a regular basis and have not noted any adverse effects.  If I’m gluing to small pieces, I pull them out of the water to do the gluing because it’s easier.  If I’m gluing to large driftwood or rock pieces that I don’t want to remove, I glue them underwater.  You just have to work quick because the water sets the superglue gel faster.

Edited by Odd Duck
Typo
  • Like 3

On 10/4/2022 at 1:45 PM, Stan Z said:

She criticized my use of sand in my second tank and on and on.

She must have read the how to keep fish store pamphlet. She probably won't even keep fish. She has just taken the store bible to heart. Pity the first tankers who have to deal with her 

I have used for years both in freshwater and my saltwater reef tanks the cheap dollar store super glue gel that you can buy several tubes in a pack for a buck. Never had any issues that I can relate to the glue. Be sure to use the gel glue, as its thicker and stays in place better. It actually will set almost immediately when put underwater, I try to glue the stuff out of the water and then put in tank, but there are sometimes the piece of wood or rock is too big already in the tank, so put some glue on the roots or whatever then put in place, you'll have to hold it there for a moment or two, but it can be done. I have done it numerous times, especially gluing coral frags in my reef tank when I had it. 

• Like 2