Advice about substrate for goldfish

Dmmurray

Hi there! I am upgrading my 3 goldfish to a 40 gallon breeder (petco sale), and would like to know, what is the best substrate to use. I have 2 fancy fantails, and one feeder goldfish. They currently are in a 20 gallon long, and are about 2 1/2 inches. I have small-ish pebbles, with eco-complete underneath, so I could put plants,  One of the fantails was able to get a rock, from the eco-complete, stuck in his mouth. When I picked him up, he got scared, and spit it out! I really don't want to worry about doing the hymlic on him, so I was hoping a goldfish member could let me know what they use for substrate. Or, is no substrate the best?I am new to keeping goldfish, so I appreciate any advice. Thanks so much!

well, he kinda flew across the tank at first, like he really wasn't happy at all. Maybe he did just wanna suck on it, but it freaked me out. I didn't know they did that! They are so funny, how they have there mouths open all the time. What do you recommend for a safe substrate? And thanks for your response!

• 3 weeks later...

I also have eco complete and sand in my tank my goldfish sift through it all the time with no problems ! They pick up mouthfuls and spit it out, I have two and they are 6-8 inches long so I’m sure they have much larger mouths but I’ve had them since they were small, maybe 2-3 inches and I have never seen them choke or get anything lodged in their mouth. I’ve even had very large chunky gravel with sizes they could not fully fit in their mouth and they will still pick them up and thrown them around 

Thanks so much, for all the responses! Its reassuring to know that they shouldn't choke on gravel. I ended up with kinda course sand, but haven't put fish in yet. I still haven't gotten my pics from my phone, to this laptop, but will keep trying.