Metaframe aquarium

smm333

I found myself a metaframe aquarium.  I have wanted one so bad, so I'm super excited! I love the 1950's and adore all things mid century modern. A metaframe was just a perfect marriage between my love of fish and my favorite antique collecting era. My husband bought me 2 amazing little antique mushroom ornaments (pictured) and a metaframe pump. My tank isn't the one with the slate bottom. The glass is bumpy and cool, but I think bare bottom would get yucky fast. I want to add substrate,  but I'm struggling with what kind/color. I have searched YouTube for old videos but haven't had a lot of luck. It doesn't help that everything is in black and white! 🤣 Does anyone have knowledge about the 50's fish tank substrate? I'm hoping to keep it looking 50's themed. Thanks!

16626979803352970340630463685782.jpg

• Love 1

On 9/9/2022 at 2:51 AM, Pepere said:

I hade a 10 gallon Metaframe tank with slate bottom in the very early 70s.  I was born in 1965, and inspired to keep fish by Misterogers neighborhood.

my original gravel was a gaudy mix of white, turquoise, carnation pink, and black as I remember.

I cant speak as to 1950s but perhaps this helps.

I was born in 1973, and that's the gravel I remember from being a kid! I remember Mr. Roger's feeding his fish too. 🥰 I was actually thinking of the mixed color gravel, but wasn't sure if it was older than when we used it- my family wasn't "cutting edge"- I remember our 1970's hidiously colored appliances well into the 1990's. 🤣 My only concern was it may take away from the ornaments. I want those to really pop! 

I am seeing lots of sand in older videos. I may stray and use a really light turquoise gravel. It would match my ornaments and it's a nice new century modern color. The last video I watched showed the kids adding swordtails, neon tetras, goldfish, guppies, mollies, and angelfish. 

While I couldn't tell you what was in tanks in the 50’s, I started out with a slate bottom metal framed tank in 1975 and it came with fairly fine, natural gravel in a medium tan mix (along with hundreds of MTS).  I’m pretty sure that gravel had been in the tank for decades before I got the tank.  I remember having gravel available in many different colors, both natural and artificial, even back in the 70’s.  You can probably go with whatever color you like without worrying if it’s authentic.

I haven’t been able to figure out exactly when the first glass bottom Metaframe’s came out in place of slate, I suspect it was in the later 60’s or early 70’s.  I remember that pebbly glass bottom well and had a few of those.  The switch to glass bottom was good because the slate bottoms tended to slowly seep since it is a somewhat porous stone.  It was also very challenging to keep a good seal on the slate.  I resealed mine a couple times before finally giving up after I shattered the pane of glass I was attempting to seal down on top of the slate to get the tank to stop leaking.

I still remember that tank fondly since it was the start of my fishkeeping.  It held many different species of fresh and saltwater fish over the decades and I wish I still had it today.

I had the 10 gallon slate bottom aquarium in the late 60-70's  I wish I had kept the stainless hoods.  I have a 55 on my things to do list.  The 10 gallon was heavy enough empty, but the 55 is almost unmanageable.  Eventually I will figure out how to replace the leaking slate with glass.  Considering the cost of a new glass bottom vs. a new aquarium, it might never happen.

I don't have a clear memory of the gravel I used.  I think it was the darker version of what is referred to as Fruity Pebbles.  it was popular for the store displays along with pink robin's egg blue

On 9/10/2022 at 10:42 AM, Tanked said:

I had the 10 gallon slate bottom aquarium in the late 60-70's  I wish I had kept the stainless hoods.  I have a 55 on my things to do list.  The 10 gallon was heavy enough empty, but the 55 is almost unmanageable.  Eventually I will figure out how to replace the leaking slate with glass.  Considering the cost of a new glass bottom vs. a new aquarium, it might never happen.

I don't have a clear memory of the gravel I used.  I think it was the darker version of what is referred to as Fruity Pebbles.  it was popular for the store displays along with pink robin's egg blue

I can't imagine the weight of a 55 gallon with a slate bottom! It's sure beautiful though. I hope to find a slate bottom someday. There are  videos on YouTube showing people resealing the metaframe tanks. It would be less costly than replacing the bottom.

I love the gravel being called fruity pebbles! So fitting! 🤣

On 9/9/2022 at 6:30 AM, Pepere said:

Turquiose, pastel yellow, pastel blue pastel pink, black, were all very popular colors in general in the 1950s.

I remember having an olive green fridge in the late 80s in my first adult house that was given to me.  Dated back to the 70s.  I hated olive green!

I remember growing up in early 70s. We had low cut loop carpeting wall to wall, olive green with shiny masonite paneling.

Our furniture was second hand that my grandparents had bought in the 50s.  Vinyl upholstered in bright red, tangerine orange, white, turquoise.  The chair and couch itself had wood frame that had stain varnish brushed on with black wrought iron inserts under the arms looking like leaves….

Makes one wonder how anybody thought it was a good idea….

Ha ha! I love some of the 50's decor. One of my prized finds I got at an antique  store is a yellow table with chrome trim and 2 red vinyl & chrome chairs. Bright red, yellow pink and turquoise make my heart pitter patter. 💗 

I guess it depends on when you were born and what you grew up with. I hate the dark browns and olive greens I recall from childhood, but my daughter thinks some of the 70's stuff is cool and retro. 🙂