Dosing ShrimpFit in a nano

Pratzie

Wondering what everyone who uses ShrimpFit does for dosing.  Reading most people underdose compared to the instructions. I’m using a 27L (6.6gal) nano with 9 RCS, one Nerite snail and 6 CPD’s. 

When I dose BacterAE, I use the toothpick method some have suggested on Youtube. First dose with ShrimpFit was about an 1/8th of the scooper, maybe a hair less. Thinking of trying the toothpick method for this as well but was wondering if anyone with a similar sized tank has done for dosing in theirs. Don’t wanna overdose it here….

Edited by Pratzie
Fixed typo

The shrimp fit is not as bad at making the tank yucky but still does if overdosed. I found I had better luck only dosing the shrimp fit vs dosing SH & AE. I USE 2 -1/2 toothpicks of shrimp fit in a 10 g. I moisten the toothpick and pat it dry so the amount I want adheres to the tooth pick. So dosing both 1 - 1/2 TP in your tank should be fine. I stopped using both a while ago because I found I had better shrimplette production and survival with shrimp baby. Now SB is what I use.  

• Thanks 1

On 9/7/2022 at 9:25 AM, Guppysnail said:

The shrimp fit is not as bad at making the tank yucky but still does if overdosed. I found I had better luck only dosing the shrimp fit vs dosing SH & AE. I USE 2 -1/2 toothpicks of shrimp fit in a 10 g. I moisten the toothpick and pat it dry so the amount I want adheres to the tooth pick. So dosing both 1 - 1/2 TP in your tank should be fine. I stopped using both a while ago because I found I had better shrimplette production and survival with shrimp baby. Now SB is what I use.  

Thanks for your response. Is the Shrimp Baby powdered like the SF/AE? I haven’t had mine breed yet, at least I haven’t seen them berried, so I haven’t considered the Shrimp Baby just yet. Might set up a 2 gallon next to this nano for breeding tho. If so, do you dose the same way, with the toothpick? Also, what is the SH you referred to above?

On 9/7/2022 at 9:21 PM, Tedrock said:

I have used shrimp fit but have not seen any difference in my shrimp?  What do others think?Tedrock

No noticeable difference when using shrimp fit vs bacteria ae vs nothing. It may help a newly cycled tank get ready for shrimp beyond that I feel it is totally unneeded and adds no noticeable value to population. I don’t use either and I’m always overrun with shrimp in all my tanks. 

• Thanks 1

I use bacter ae myself. Primarily while get my shrimp tank setup. Then once I got my shrimp I have never really noticed them going to there actual food dish for shrimp sticks or wafers. So I still add it to the tank about 3 times a week just to help give a boost to the micro organisms. I think I use it more as a security blanket to know I'm keeping a good supply of biofilm and such in the tank. As far as dosing I probably use more than most on here. I do about 1/16 of a scooper 2-3'times a week. I have noticed no buildup in my sponge filters or any areas of the tank. Tank size is 10 gal

Edited by TeeJay
  • Thanks 1