Swampbones' newest adventure into everything fish

KatFish

On 9/21/2022 at 3:43 PM, KatFish said:

Thank you again for the advice @Guppysnail! I was looking at the plants on ACO but they're out of the java moss (since that seems to be what a lot of breeders use for the fry) 
I have my fake silk plants in there, but obviously live is better. 
Since ACO is out of java moss, would something like their Octopus or Amazon Sword work? 
Or do I need to go to my LFS to specifically get java moss?

For guppies java moss is not the best. Guppy grass, water sprite, hornwort a some Java ferns or anubias from a big box in a tube. Anything you can throw in the tank but let it float at the top. The fry are born and as soon as they manage to learn to swim they go to the top. Mine hide at the edge at the water line. Adults have a hard time seeing them I guess. Heck even just getting plastic plants and pulling the base off so they float is fine. Java works best IMO for egg fry that hang on the floor when they hatch. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 9/21/2022 at 3:04 PM, Guppysnail said:

For guppies java moss is not the best. Guppy grass, water sprite, hornwort a some Java ferns or anubias from a big box in a tube. Anything you can throw in the tank but let it float at the top. The fry are born and as soon as they manage to learn to swim they go to the top. Mine hide at the edge at the water line. Adults have a hard time seeing them I guess. Heck even just getting plastic plants and pulling the base off so they float is fine. Java works best IMO for egg fry that hang on the floor when they hatch. 

Thank you so much! I still have a bunch of silk/plastic plants (I bought this like big bulk box on sale- and I bought it for one type of plant) 

9/24/22

as of today, The Lieutenant is no longer a chubby little lady. I woke up to bid her a good morning and congratulations on her babies- however, instead the Lieutenant and I had a long debate about cannibalism and how it is frowned upon in most societies.

The Lieutenant did not seem to care. 

PXL_20220924_171600242.jpg.a8650e7bfb2f6c4b791e0e2a38660d87.jpg

In good news however, our mysterious colony of Mystery Snails have been breeding happily! Look at this very large clutch I saw the snail depositing! a rare picture indeed friends! PXL_20220924_171611559.jpg.1279a3604bea9e7136429833a8b42ef1.jpg

While I mourn the loss of the fry, I mostly shrug it off. I had a feeling that she would eat them in her stress of being a single mother. 

We live and learn, and thank a generous friend here on the forums for sending me their mutt guppies to help give the Lieutenant her army once more! 

On 9/21/2022 at 3:23 PM, Flumpweesel said:

Fingers crossed about the fry that will take some of the sting out of the resent guppy experience 

😅 Well, at least there's the snails! 

• Like 1