Corydoras + Finer substrate = Cloudy mess?

asondhi

I've wanted corydoras forever now but I have one large concern- are they going to turn my tank from an Amazon themed wonderland to a murky mess? 

As the title implies, I have a more sand-like substrate (see attached photos). I also failed to rinse said substrate to the extent I'd hoped and my water is still ever so slightly hazy- filter floss pads help and I use them behind the large corner sponges. Am I wrong to assume this is only temporary dust from shipping? The individual grains seem large enough not to enter the water column too easily like a true sand might... 

How will Corydoras fit into this ecosystem? Will their constant sifting help to churn the top layer of substrate and prevent mulm buildup? or will they stir up the stuff of nightmares hiding below? 

IMG20220830091448.jpg

Screenshot_2022-09-03-18-02-29-23_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

I have cories on medium grade black blasting sand (BBS) and pool filter sand (PFS) with no issues as far as clouding the water from substrate getting stirred.  I have not used play sand since it is very fine, nor have I used any “aquarium” sand since the prices for it are crazy compared to BBS or PFS which each run about $10.00/50 pound bag.  From what I’ve read, both BBSand PFS can vary from area to area, or batch to batch, so your experience may vary.  My PFS is similar colors, but overall lighter tone than your Peace River color from Caribsea.

• Like 1

definitely won't be an issue.  Even on fine sand, you won't have that issue.  You can usually clean out fine particles suspended in the water with filter floss, but the corydoras won't cause issues with that.  You'll also get most of it out when the sand compresses and the fine stuff finds it's way out via siphon.

as a side note, that's basically "fine gravel" and the particle size is pretty big compared to what the very fine sand particle sizes can be.  Nice stuff! I like the look 🙂