Pineapple Aquarium Grow

rockfisher

I have grow pineapples in pots around the to house for years. I started with the tops and put the in the cheap Walmart ice containers to root. I some point I started outing the in HOB and now I’m just going to start one in a tank. I’m not sure how things will go. I thing rooting will be good I’m going to be interested in what happens when I would normally move a plant to a a pot that with work. I have seen how others have grown house plants in floating baskets with rocks and other materials. I want to see if it will fruit. General it can take me two years to go from to p of a pine apple to fruit which are normally a little smaller that the original fruit but ver sweet. Here we go 

@Guppysnail

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I moved the pineapple to a different tank just because I had one in the same place and used that spot due to convenience. It’s still will get lots of sun. I have not have any issues with ph ever. I have most of my tanks at 6-6.8ph. As for how to remove to the top there is about 50 ways to do it. Spend 10 mins on YouTube and you will see. You can twist it”some of us can’t due to disabilities. Cut it out on a cone shape. I am showing the way I have done this before and this is a journal of that journey. Cutting it is ok. If you aren’t putting it a tank even if you leave some fruit on it it will be ok. It will smell bad, so don’t do this for your tank. Just so everyone knows some people with fry them out for a week I found this doesn’t work for me. There are you tube videos on how to spilt one into several plants. I have never done this but I have one more pineapple I have to cut up one more so maybe I’ll try that. I asked in a separate posts I’ll try to link if anyone has seen it I think it has more info about bromeliads and that you should water them from the top at times. They are epiphytes.

99C7DF57-AC20-458A-AF1B-09CE7DE4EDBA.jpeg

54B6515C-C2D6-40A1-B8A0-783B5177CEF2.jpeg

A85BFB23-2A48-4E04-A9D9-1387872E20EE.jpeg

Edited by rockfisher
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

This is fantastic.  Thank you for sharing how and taking time to make the video. In a few months when I upgrade my window tank this will be my HOB plants. (Current have no room for another emergent). 

Edit to tag @TeeJay I know you are still looking for more emergents. This is very cool 😎 your snail babies would clean that core up in no time. 

Edited by Guppysnail

On 8/30/2022 at 5:50 AM, Guppysnail said:

This is fantastic.  Thank you for sharing how and taking time to make the video. In a few months when I upgrade my window tank this will be my HOB plants. (Current have no room for another emergent). 

Edit to tag @TeeJay I know you are still looking for more emergents. This is very cool 😎 your snail babies would clean that core up in no time. 

Wait what!? I can have a pineapple in my tank?

• Like 2

On 8/30/2022 at 6:39 AM, Guppysnail said:

Maybe start it in the shrimp sanctuary or a bucket with a handful of gold bladder snails to get the fruit cleaned off. I knew you would be excited. 

Yes I think in a bucket with the snails. I have tons now lol. Throw an air stone in and boom!

• Love 1

On 8/30/2022 at 6:56 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I’m the party pooper here, but where there’s a fruit cutting, there’s fruit flies…

I would wish the fruit flies luck. Around a handful of my bladder snails that little nub won’t last 2 days.  When I had my Snailtopia tank I cut mini cucumbers longways in thirds. They could make a third disappear in 24 hours. 🐷

• Like 2

On 8/30/2022 at 6:56 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I’m the party pooper here, but where there’s a fruit cutting, there’s fruit flies…

I don’t have fruit flies. The fruit is under water and the green top does seem to attract any flies. 

Edited by rockfisher
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

On 8/30/2022 at 9:40 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Now we're talkin'!

You can grow them hydroponic, so you could have one in your tank but it would probably have to be more of a floating potted plant. . Something for someone to try. Any one want to step up and try this one. 

• Like 2

On 8/30/2022 at 7:17 PM, rockfisher said:

You can grow them hydroponic, so you could have one in your tank but it would probably have to be more of a floating potted plant. . Something for someone to try. Any one want to step up and try this one. 

Oh count me in as soon as I upgrade my window tank in a few months. A mob of angry Oscar’s couldn’t stop me. 😁

• Like 3
  • Love 1

This was suggested as a better way to remove the top. I had a second pineapple so I tried. I cant say if it will work better but it was easy. I thought it may take some power but almost anyone could do it on the pineapple I had. 

Edited by rockfisher
  • Like 2

Small roots 6 days in. image.jpg.6c6c7c3b9d6c3ec4123bce7d41ab2973.jpgI have to update the twisted off top. I put it in a tank. I left it out and after 2 days I felt that it would not grow after one week. I have a dehumidifier that keep humidity at about 29-35%. That may have speed up the drying. Sorry I could not try the week of drying.

• Like 2