I need some help with Amazon Sword & Hydrocotyle tripartita 'Japan'

Hello everyone I hope you guys are doing well. This is my first planted tank and I am very much a noob. I set this tank up 2 weeks ago and it doesn't seem to be doing to good. The Amazon Sword and Hydrocotyle tripartita 'Japan' are not doing good and I don't know what to do. I tried looking up sollutions and watching youtube videos for why they look like this. I am out of ideas and hopping one of you guys could help me out. image.jpeg.57ef52681e78d1811bb197a4656466f8.jpeg

IMG_1428.jpg

IMG_1427.jpg

IMG_1425.jpg

Edited by Shiv P
better photos

• Administrators

Did you put root tabs under them? The amazon sword is converting to submerged grown leaves. It's consuming the nitrogen in the leaves as you can see them turning clear. If you haven't already I'd add 3-4 root tabs under it. The same might be going on with the triparta as well. A new tank, the substrate won't have much int he way of nutrients and needs to be amended with root tabs usually.

One big thing that helped me to learn plant care was how they are categorized.  These categories tell you info like care and how they get nutrients. 

Amazon sword is a root feeder. This means it's not getting a majority of its nutrients from the water but from the substrate. Since our substrate is not soil, we need to supply it with nutrients. That's what root tabs do for you! 

Don't let the name.scare you as it did me, they aren't as complicated as they sound. All you do is simply bury them in the substrate all around your Amazon sword. Add new ones once a month. I make a note in my phone calender so I know when I did it. I also suggest not gravel.vacing close to the Amazon sword. You can accidentally suck up the root tab. Also, you kinda want waste to build up around it. It's feeding off of that!

On 8/29/2022 at 10:36 AM, Shiv P said:

Thank you guys for your help and I did add more root tabs to the tank. Unfortunatly the triparta did not make it. As I was adding root tabs near it, the plant just disegrated. Hopefully the Amazon Sword makes it. 

Aw that must have sucked but it should be good cause once the root tabs kick in your going to see a very tall amazon sword in the following months!