Scarlet badis adventure

Guppysnail

On 10/9/2022 at 8:57 AM, modified lung said:

That's awesome! Do the females still have any red or did it disappear? I've heard any red at all makes them male. But I've also heard badis/darios swap sexes really easily. I wonder if that's true or maybe females can have red after all? There are times I swear some of my black tiger darios swapped sexes but there's always the very good chance I just misidentified them.

For anyone else interested in reading lots of fine print to stimulate more research into these tiny fish, I found this article earlier:

https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/badis-badis/

Sadly, I forgot to save the article about the Dario, which linked to another article about recently discovered new species of fish in Mexico indicating a benefit to livebearers is species in severely limited ecosystems can forego males, and limit themselves to asexual, livebirths. There is also new research into just how many fish actually change sex... and the numbers of identified species that do so keeps growing:

https://www.latrobe.edu.au/news/articles/2020/opinion/what-we-learn-from-fish-that-change-sex

Congratulations @Guppysnail, these guys are just so darn interesting! I don't even have any, and I can't stop researching them, lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/15/2022 at 1:52 AM, Torrey said:

There is also new research into just how many fish actually change sex... and the numbers of identified species that do so keeps growing:

Two of the ones that now have the dark side blotches of females have a decent amount of red. One of those is one that was in the hugging mating embrace of a definite male. The other I suspected was a girl only has a touch of light hints of red but also has the dark side blotches. None of my highly colored males have any dark side marks. 
I love seeing and learning new things. These fish are interesting to say the least. 

• Like 1

On 10/15/2022 at 3:36 PM, Guppysnail said:

Two of the ones that now have the dark side blotches of females have a decent amount of red. One of those is one that was in the hugging mating embrace of a definite male. The other I suspected was a girl only has a touch of light hints of red but also has the dark side blotches. None of my highly colored males have any dark side marks. 
I love seeing and learning new things. These fish are interesting to say the least. 

Any idea what causes that??

• 1 month later...

I had more breeding coupling from the alpha and the one I was pretty sure was a girl to start. I thought I saw tiny specks falling from them through the magnifying glass. When they were done and looked like they started trying to hunt and eat their eggs I shewed them away. I waited about 10 minutes keeping other fish from the eggs hoping the got fertilized. I vacuumed the area and tried hatching for  little over a week in a container with duckweed some of the gravel from the area and an airstone. I got nothing though. 😕

My phone battery was dead when the coupling was happening so I didn’t get a video. 

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ord. Look at those cories*! Lol! That's a cute photobomb. I hope the badis make some babies! That would be super awesome. Seems like they're trying...eggs are much harder than livebearers....

Edited by Minanora
Wrong species of cory! Maybe not. >.<
  • Thanks 1

I lost 2 female scarlet badis but still have  1 

I have a breeding pair. I found they readily breed but raising the fry is hard! They don’t lay easy to see eggs or easy to reach. 

Just so you know any red color means it’s a male. Females will at most have grey strips. But mostly plain. They are by far my favorite fish. They really are a teenie tiny Betta

I got a only a few fry survive to adult size , unfortunately they passed away during the tank change to put her in with her parents. They jumped out, the parents are in my pond style paludarium so no lid 😞 

Edited by Liddojunior

On 12/2/2022 at 8:21 AM, Liddojunior said:

Just so you know any red color means it’s a male.

I thought this as well however the two of the suspected females I have also developed the blue/grey patch females do.  The colorless suspected female has no dark patch though. They do engage in the full mating embraces and courtship with the dominant males. They have different body shapes than the males and develop egg bellies with bulging vents periodically that after the mating embrace the egg bellies go away and the vent returns to normal. The males then guard that area for a few days. I have not seen fry though but I also have panda Corydora vacuum cleaners in the tank the males can’t defend against. 
I really got these just as a viewing fish hoping to get an occasional fry or two not really a breeding project so it’s just sort of interesting to watch and learn about them. 
Earlier in This thread @Torreyposted an article on research being done on fish that change sex based on need of the colony. It is being discovered many more fish than were originally thought to actually do do this. 🤷‍♀️

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Love 1

On 12/2/2022 at 5:33 AM, Guppysnail said:

I thought this as well however the two of the suspected females I have also developed the blue/grey patch females do.  The colorless suspected female has no dark patch though. They do engage in the full mating embraces and courtship with the dominant males. They have different body shapes than the males and develop egg bellies with bulging vents periodically that after the mating embrace the egg bellies go away and the vent returns to normal. The males then guard that area for a few days. I have not seen fry though but I also have panda Corydora vacuum cleaners in the tank the males can’t defend against. 
I really got these just as a viewing fish hoping to get an occasional fry or two not really a breeding project so it’s just sort of interesting to watch and learn about them. 
Earlier in This thread @Torreyposted an article on research being done on fish that change sex based on need of the colony. It is being discovered many more fish than were originally thought to actually do do this. 🤷‍♀️

If you put subwassertang where they like to drop eggs, you have a good chance of fry surviving. I've seen Deku Aquatics have fry survive in the parents tank because of dense subwassertang protecting the eggs and fry. The male Scarlet Badis will defend the eggs but then eat them once hatched. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/2/2022 at 8:48 AM, Liddojunior said:

If you put subwassertang where they like to drop eggs, you have a good chance of fry surviving. I've seen Deku Aquatics have fry survive in the parents tank because of dense subwassertang protecting the eggs and fry. The male Scarlet Badis will defend the eggs but then eat them once hatched. 

I have subwassertang. Will the eggs stick to it that I could pick it up and move it to a hatching tank or just fall through?  
sadly the most mating occurs in the back corners so it’s near impossible to get to without disrupting the entire tank. If the eggs stick I could rearrange things to make this a viable option. 

On 12/2/2022 at 5:51 AM, Guppysnail said:

I have subwassertang. Will the eggs stick to it that I could pick it up and move it to a hatching tank or just fall through?  
sadly the most mating occurs in the back corners so it’s near impossible to get to without disrupting the entire tank. If the eggs stick I could rearrange things to make this a viable option. 

I'm going to be honest, from experience spawning media will grab eggs and can be taken out, but I dont know how many eggs I would have missed. The fry I got was from doing just that, I can see eggs from ricefish and rainbow fish but scarlet badis I have yet to visible hold or see the eggs, I believe they are really tiny eggs. 

I would just for a month keep pulling out subwassertang every 3 days. Other tip is in the new hatching tank, squeeze out your tanks filter sponge in it for all the mulm. It will be full of little life and put in some sort of leaf litter. 

Edited by Liddojunior

On 12/2/2022 at 6:00 AM, Guppysnail said:

Oh yes I do ugly fry tanks. They are the best. 🤗. Thanks for the info. Once I have an open fry tank I’m going to give this a try. 

I can get scarlet badis to eat first bites, but it has to be in motion. Even tank raised they picking eaters, mine are lucky I hatch bbs and live blackworms for them. Spoiled fish. 

• Like 1

On 12/2/2022 at 9:05 AM, Liddojunior said:

I can get scarlet badis to eat first bites, but it has to be in motion. Even tank raised they picking eaters, mine are lucky I hatch bbs and live blackworms for them. Spoiled fish. 

I do live bbs, micro worms, grindal worms and white worms. Most of the white worms are too big but the smaller ones they eat. Though they try to eat the bigger ones. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...