Scarlet badis adventure

Guppysnail

Was watching the SB and one had something in its mouth. I thought it was a piece of plant. I looked again and seen it was round but to big for it’s mouth. So smooshed my face right up to the glass. Little buggar had a panda Cory egg. Dropped it 3 times bullied a piece of gravel to get it a forth. I grabbed the camera to late and the egg either was popped and eaten or went to far in the gravel. 

3/4 inches of predator all the way 🤣

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Love 4

• 4 weeks later...

When I went to turn the lights on this tank was crazy. I could not believe what I was seeing. In each of the two front corners 2 fish were twisting and embracing. It sure looked like the mating videos I watched. 
The two I originally thought were girls each developed a dark patch on the sides. Videos I watched said girls can get this. The two most brightly colored males were involved. The subdominant males were hiding low in the tank. The less subdominant ones kept trying to get in each of the mating territories. 
the boys involved in the supposed mating were in kill mode to other boys. 
When the shock passed of what I thought I saw I ran for the camera. This is the tail end of one couple so I could not capture the hugging twisting embrace. 
Whatever this is on the leaf (hoping eggs) was not there last evening when I did water change. It’s only in that leaf and 2 below have a few. None of the leaves above have it. 
The boy is now staying perched over that leaf unless he zooms off trying to kill another male that gets to close. The girl is allowed to hang out in the vaccinity though.

So do I actually have 2 females that display some red? The anal fins and body shape around them looks different than the obvious boys. They also still act different. 

6278461F-FD03-4853-84E3-FD9A5E9A31BF.jpeg

5706F0AD-684D-41CE-ABA4-303EF511C646.jpeg

AA043061-5342-4596-9C4D-518A6B2B8797.jpeg

2389F06E-3836-43D7-91BA-A736CE549AD3.jpeg

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

On 10/9/2022 at 9:59 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Wow, so cool! I’ve seen the embrace you are talking about. I think I may have shared it with you in EJ’s video. The things on the leaf look like the little scrape marks that nerites make on the glass.

In the pics they do. In person they are raised up. It’s definitely something on the leaf vs scrape marks. 

On 10/9/2022 at 10:04 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Do they take flake food at all or just Livefoods?

Live only. They ignore anything not wiggly. They don’t even often catch the worms and BBS in the water column. They wait until they hit the substrate then see movement and pounce. I’ve even seen them nosing in the substrate. 

• Like 1

That's awesome! Do the females still have any red or did it disappear? I've heard any red at all makes them male. But I've also heard badis/darios swap sexes really easily. I wonder if that's true or maybe females can have red after all? There are times I swear some of my black tiger darios swapped sexes but there's always the very good chance I just misidentified them.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Love 1

On 10/9/2022 at 10:57 AM, modified lung said:

That's awesome! Do the females still have any red or did it disappear? I've heard any red at all makes them male. But I've also heard badis/darios swap sexes really easily. I wonder if that's true or maybe females can have red after all? There are times I swear some of my black tiger darios swapped sexes but there's always the very good chance I just misidentified them.

I was wondering about sex swapping also. Yes both have the faint red stripes and one has a touch on the dorsal. They developed that dark patch though that I heard tell females have. I have a third. The least dominant male who is starting a dark patch in the same spot.

🤷‍♀️That’s what I love about this hobby. So much to see and learn. I just commented to @Torrey offline that I don’t get as much enjoyment out of these as other fish even though they are beautiful. Missing all the territory and mating dynamics just made them less interesting. When I saw this today at lights on I sat on a bucket for over an hour watching 🤣 Beautiful blue numb toes ensued 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

On 10/9/2022 at 11:10 AM, Guppysnail said:

I was wondering about sex swapping also. Yes both have the faint red stripes and one has a touch on the dorsal. They developed that dark patch though that I heard tell females have. I have a third. The least dominant male who is starting a dark patch in the same spot.

🤷‍♀️That’s what I love about this hobby. So much to see and learn. I just commented to @Torrey offline that I don’t get as much enjoyment out of these as other fish even though they are beautiful. Missing all the territory and mating dynamics just made them less interesting. When I saw this today at lights on I sat on a bucket for over an hour watching 🤣 Beautiful blue numb toes ensued 🤣

Why after all this time do you not have a simple folding chair?

• Haha 2

On 10/9/2022 at 11:43 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Why after all this time do you not have a simple folding chair?

I had a chair and then a bean bag. I’m always doing something in there so it’s in the way. Folding chair is a great idea I just never thought of 🤣. It’s on the wish list now. 🤗

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Haha 1

On 10/9/2022 at 5:55 PM, Guppysnail said:

I had a chair and then a bean bag. I’m always doing something in there so it’s in the way. Folding chair is a great idea I just never thought of 🤣. It’s on the wish list now. 🤗

I have a bed 😂 although a floating mattress in the middle of a massive pond filled with lots of different live bearers… An idea 💡 for the future!!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 10/14/2022 at 12:44 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Wonder who it could be 🤔 💡 🐼!!

Nice to see that I’m not the only one with trouble with hair algae though!

I LOVE ALGAE. yesterday I found 3 panda fry no more than 2 weeks old back nomming the microfauna out of that algae near the substrate. 🤗

• Like 1

On 10/14/2022 at 1:08 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

So it isn’t entirely useless then 😏

No it’s awesome beneficial. Microfauna thrive for scarlets and fry. It cleans water and gives off a lot more oxygen than plants. I also don’t need to be concerned about unwanted algae growing on the algae 🤣🤣🤣🤣 free colorful decor. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/14/2022 at 7:09 PM, Guppysnail said:

No it’s awesome beneficial. Microfauna thrive for scarlets and fry. It cleans water and gives off a lot more oxygen than plants. I also don’t need to be concerned about unwanted algae growing on the algae 🤣🤣🤣🤣 free colorful decor. 

I’m going to be having a 65 gallon aquarium at my disposal sometime next week (a bunny used to live in it , met a sticky end involving a dog, a fox, and a trampoline) any ideas of some low cost fun stocking ideas??

I kind of want to do an endler colony setup🙃