CO2 Issue - "nano" circulation pump, pump head, or wave maker

Hey Everyone,

I am dealing with a pretty annoying and frustrating issue to try to problem solve.  It would be "easier" for me if there was an off the shelf solution or something available via etsy that I can purchase that is 3d printed.  I literally need a tube and a way to easily route this tube to a certain spot. 

Essentially, I can't side mount my HoB because of the issue finding a lid.  I fixed the lid by using silicone and adhering the proper size rear trim piece to the 30" long lid available at the big box store.  I would very much like to just have a better quality, side mounted lid. Finding a Versatop or other size lid that is ~28 inches deep (glass only) would be adequate, but this isn't really something available and would involve a lot of setup on my side.  I would buy the lid for a gigantic aquarium, use 1/2 of it, and that's just because I want the lid to open up one way.  The glass at the hardware store is "fine" but buying the parts for the trim, the hinge, thickness of glass I want to use, etc..... it's a massive cost and not worth it at this point in time to solve the CO2 issue.  (I apologize for the long explanation, but I am trying to speak to the frustration here).

Short version, I have a pump head that is very similar in design to the ACO version (mine was the older one, from aquatop) and it pumps out at 158 GPH.  For the use case I have, I only need one that is ~80-100 GPH and preferably with a spraybar.  I can use the existing pump I have, mod a spraybar, but I don't know how much this will alleviate the massive flow the tank is seeing right now with this pump.  I am vigorously stirring the tank and it's harsh on the fish and plants right now.  Long term, this isn't something I want to do.  The way I have it installed right now, diffuser is on the back right of the aquarium, the pump is on the front right of the aquarium pointed directly at the corner with the diffuser.    I still see the plants swirling a bit more than I'd like.

Which led me to this thing. Which is actually stronger than what I have now, but rated for a "nano tank".  I checked the directions and didn't find an easy way to adjust the flow on this either.

SICCE VOYAGER NANO 1000 (WAVEMAKER) | eBay

Sicce Shark pro is an option, does have a "spraybar type feature", but it's pretty big and bulky in the aquarium.  this would end up right over a series of stem plants and look pretty terrible.  The pumphead on the front of the tank isn't much better.

shark_pro_500.jpg

I was looking at something like this as well.

https://www.hygger-online.com/product/fish-tank-filter-pump/

Question, does anyone know of or have anything that would mod the ACO pump (or a slightly lower power version of this pump) that would easily have:
1. Spraybar out
2. Sponge to protect the intake

Edited by nabokovfan87

On 8/24/2022 at 1:35 AM, Guppysnail said:

Have you seen these side open lids or any direction open you want 

I have made them a few times.  I also broke just about every one or was just annoyed by them.  I would paint them black (something I saw simply betta do) and I would glue the plastic to the bottom glass. 

I MUCH prefer Dean's lids and how he did his.  Why they don't just have this stuff available ready to go.... ( @Aqueon ) or why marineland lids don't exist anywhere now, or why top fin decided to make their tanks a different size, or why the literal most common tank lid size doesn't fit! I just don't understand.  (20L needs to be addressed and have a stinking lid!)

I have the rear trim piece, I need to buy the glass and then have it cut. (I have a cutter, but I want to have a glass shop bevel the edges and stuff.  I am done trying to make it "work" and I want the lid to be a feature.  I also plan to hang my light above the tank from the ceiling / wall so I don't have to mess with the light and lid anymore.  Long term, it'll be done, but right now I just need to be able to use a pump, preferably with a spraybar.

As a sidenote, I highly recommend making your own lids as opposed to buying one. Not using the plastic trim all over is so nice. For tanks running on air alone, even with a small HoB you can get the lid very tight. Just have a plan for the light if you run a HoB.  I've flooded the top of the lid a few times, fine for sliding, but for hinge it's a bit of a hassle.

On 8/24/2022 at 11:21 AM, fishinacage said:

The medium pre filter sponge on the output of the ACO powerhead baffles the flow considerably. So much so that it might not even be enough flow.  I also have this tiny cheap pump and it has adjustable flow rate.  Who knows how long it will last. 

I took the strainer off the intake (it's basically the ACO powerhead) and I have the intake sponge that fits that inlet. It's the "large size" which is just very large given the tank is very small.  It also is unfortunate because it is taking up a ton of space and only there to run for 8 hours per day.

I found this one and I am going to give it a shot.  Looks perfect for my need.  I ordered a spraybar kit and will go from there.

https://www.amazon.com/Sicce-Syncra-Nano-Circulation-Pump/dp/B00NCPJG2I/ref=sr_1_2?crid=17DUHFQZ7IYX4&keywords=sicce+sicra+nano&qid=1661460908&sprefix=sicce+sicra+nano%2Caps%2C241&sr=8-2

Edited by nabokovfan87

Frustratingly.... they have a spraybar for this thing already made.  😞

Seems like an amazing little pump. Hopefully it works well and worst case if I can't get the CO2 stuff resolved, I can NOW install in-line CO2.

If you have a fluval flex or something like that (in terms of filtration) be sure to check out Sicce MI Mouse pumps.  I don't know if they are readily available, but it looks like a drop in replacement.

Edited by nabokovfan87

Woke up today and it wasn't stuck to the glass. Turned on and I'm guessing that pushed it off the wall. The cradle that slides on to the suction cup is very thin. It's an extremely small pump, which is nice. It's essentially (in size) the same pump you'd get on a tidal 55. Looks like an early version of it.

20220828_091950.JPG.3b0cd3ef9878921dcee4f4102a9267c7.JPG20220828_092006.JPG.26f0c33162cd8eb1114bf0989ff0fc48.JPG

Here you can see the opposing side of the tank, CO2 bubbles effectively moved around. I'm still going to go ahead and get the spraybar setup. The kit I found "works" and I'll have those details when the time comes.

20220828_092015.JPG.1fed841926a2fe211491bf12a3e4784c.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Finally found the thread!  I finished setting everything up, I'll get a parts list here shortly.  I would totally hope this exists as a kit one day for the ACO Power head  (CC @Zenzo )

Parts List:
-Pump head (12mm output)
-Vinyl Tubing (~12mm ID, 16mm OD)
-Vinyl Tubing (~16mm ID, Fluval 407 spraybar kit)
-Spraybar Pipe (Fluval 407 spraybar kit)
-Spraybar endcap (Fluval 407 spraybar kit)
-Pre-Filter Sponge (nano size, cut to reduce height of sponge)
-Zip Ties (Black, Nylon)

EDIT: I will have to mess with the positioning of this.  Right now it's above the diffuser so that flow pushes the CO2 across the tank.  The other option is to put it across the tank and then use the spraybar flow to push it down the glass.

20220923_135029.JPG

20220923_135020.JPG

Edited by nabokovfan87