Please talk to me about scuds.

Guppysnail

The only scuds I dealt with come on plants and are 1/8-1/4 inch big babies are 1/16. I’m trying to find them to buy for my new (not yet revealed) fish that need live foods.  Adult fish get no bigger than .5 female and .8 male inches. The scuds I’m finding online say they get to be 1/2 inch big.  
 I would also like to feed them to my Pygmy corydora and least killifish who stay about an inch. 
Did I always just randomly get baby scuds?  Are there tiny scuds available?

I also have UGFs in all my tanks. Will the scuds just go live there and not be available as food?  

Thanks for sharing your experience 🤗

Scuds are great for puffers, certain bettas of the wild types, and cichlids as well as a host of other species. I bought a culture from Goliad and lost them due to poor husbandry on my part. But while I had them I had some happy fish. I will try them again. I bet if you asked Charles for some of his daphnia he’d throw them in. There were some in my cherry shrimp and scud cultures.
Daphnia I’ve tried twice and failed. Same thing with black worms. I will try again of course.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 8/22/2022 at 12:48 PM, modified lung said:

There are a few hundred species of scuds. Mine only grow to 3/8" max and their babies are BBS sized.

Hmmm do you sell starter cultures?

On 8/22/2022 at 12:59 PM, Scapexghost said:

Out of curiosity, what's the reason behind feeding scuds over a more widely available live food?

Not over or instead of but in addition too for variety. I want in tank living foods so I am doing a big dump of neocaridina so they can feast on shrimplettes and scuds whenever. Im also doing banana worms, microworms, white worms, grindal worms, live bbs, and now I just setup and harvested a seed shrimp culture @eatyourpeas I’m brain damaged some days. I already have seed shrimp (video of yesterdays gravel vac bucket I forgot to empty)  and so sorry @modified lung though I’m so fascinated by your Big Bad Blackworm tower and I am fascinated by by hydra and rhabdocoela and planaria as pets …black worms in person squinch me out for some unknown reason 🤣 and daphnia or almost any tiny culture like that turns to a stinky gooey rancid mess for me and is outlawed in my house by hubby. 😂😝

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1