Update on my 20 high

@FLFishChik Similar wood stuffs?

On 8/22/2022 at 4:31 PM, anitstuk said:

I've got the exact same problem with the algae on your plants in the bottom right corner. I've got it everywhere in my tank. 😞 

There is a video by green aqua I was watching yesterday.  they just look at tanks and talk about how to cure algae issues in general.  It's a good overview / place to start.

Manual removal is the best way to start to get rid of it.  Figure out the balance that's off, then you'll start to see improvement.

On 8/23/2022 at 9:35 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

There is a video by green aqua I was watching yesterday.  they just look at tanks and talk about how to cure algae issues in general.  It's a good overview / place to start.

Manual removal is the best way to start to get rid of it.  Figure out the balance that's off, then you'll start to see improvement.

My problem is that it's all inside the Java Moss. We attempted to remove with a toothbrush but it began to pull the Java Moss off the log so we stopped. It's also beginning to grow on my Water Lettuce on the top of the tank.  

On 8/22/2022 at 7:35 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

looks kind of like that. but grows in small clumps on the wood. it isn't anywhere else.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2022 at 4:40 PM, anitstuk said:

My problem is that it's all inside the Java Moss. We attempted to remove with a toothbrush but it began to pull the Java Moss off the log so we stopped. It's also beginning to grow on my Water Lettuce on the top of the tank.  

You can try reverse respiration for that issue on particular.

I had a rock with some moss on it and did that because, as you mentioned, it's so impossible to remove some varieties of algae easily.

• Thanks 1

The algae is relentless. And you can’t really see all the BBA in the pic. Unfortunately for my fish tanks I’m leaving on a trip tomorrow for two weeks so I can’t do anything about it for now. In the past I had success with dropping in a couple swordtails for a few days, they seem to like brown algae. 
I’ll do a water change today and try to manually clean up most of the algae. When I come back, I’ll try reverse respiration.

On 8/23/2022 at 7:19 AM, Ištvan Bećar Pecaroš said:

The algae is relentless. And you can’t really see all the BBA in the pic. Unfortunately for my fish tanks I’m leaving on a trip tomorrow for two weeks so I can’t do anything about it for now. In the past I had success with dropping in a couple swordtails for a few days, they seem to like brown algae. 
I’ll do a water change today and try to manually clean up most of the algae. When I come back, I’ll try reverse respiration.

Are your lights on a timer for the trip? If so, I would recommend reducing the amount of time they are on. Lighting seems to be the most common culprit I come across when people are having algae issues, along with overfeeding/excess nutrients. Is someone going to feed while you are gone? If so, I'd recommend either showing them HALF the amount you normally feed (in my experience, they will overfeed anyway), or getting one of those weekly pill containers to put in the amount of food to eat each day. 

Also, if you haven't read the Co-op's algae guide, give it a read. 

Hope you have a great trip! 

Thanks for the suggestion.

The lights are on the timer for 8 hours a day. I think the algae problem is because of lack of the light, not too much light. I think this because the worst algae is under the floating plants on the right side of the tank. The left side has a little by the air stone which I wouldn’t really mind if the hole tank looked like that.

I’m pretty sure I’m over feeding, but I’m working on that. This is in part because I don’t want my kuhli loaches to go hungry. I have 3.

I got 2 pack of 7 day feeder cake. I’ll drop one in before I leave and my brother will drop the other a week later. But I’m not worried about fish going hungry, there’s plenty of algae for them to eat. LOL I’m worried about water parameters and I stuck like five catting of pathos in the tank.

• 4 weeks later...

I just got back from my trip a few day ago and to my surprise the tank looked decant. There was some floating brown algae that I just vacuumed up during the water change. I didn’t clean the glass and you can see different stuff on it. I removed a lot of floating plants as they covered almost the whole surface. The pic is just after I changed the water.

image.jpeg.c204967a416baaa8e87b10b26a0b96ab.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...