Ick in 60 gallon

RobsFishWorld

I have ick in my 60 gallon tank right now. It started last week I noticed my fish scratching themselves on everything then the next day my electric blue acara had a bunch of white spots. I turned up the heat and I threw in some seachem paraguard. So far I’ve treated the tank with paraguard for 6 straight days and the acara has less white spots but he’s still itching. I also have 4 Roseline sharks that are itching themselves like crazy but they don’t have any white spots at all. I have one angelfish that had a few white spots but are now gone but now today he looks like he’s having trouble breathing and I have 2 air stones in the tank. I’m not sure if I should continue with paraguard or try something else? 

You can get ich on the Gill that wouldn't be visible what I would do is switch to treating with ick x and add some aquarium salt 1 table for 3 gallons as ich causes extreme electrolyte loss the salt will aid Gill function and add essential electrolytes 

• Like 1

I'm not sure if you can with the livestock you have, but I have read that, gradually, raising the water temp to about 82 degrees and dosing with aquarium salt is an effective method. Know that the ick medication can kill any snails you have in the tank.

Based on what I read when I was dealing with it, the ick lifespan (because it is a parasite) is directly correlated to temperature and, at 82 degrees, it's about 1/2 of what it is at 75 degrees. So, if you can stop the spread (I believe that's where salt comes in), and shorten the lifespan, that is the non-medicated method.

If you add medication, remove any carbon media you have in the filter as it will catch it all and render the treatment ineffective. Also, know that ick medicine may dye any airline tubing in your tank. The API treatment I used turned any clear rubber in to a sky blue color...

• Thanks 1

On 8/19/2022 at 8:08 PM, Cleveland M said:

I have treated with ICH-X in two tanks at the recommended dosage and didn't lose any snails.

I have as well in one tank and my nerite was fine. I also didn't lose a noticeable number of bladder snails. Salt would be an issue though for any besides nerites.

Edited by Katherine