Moving fish

KeeganKeepsFish

Hi all!

I am a college student living at home right now but I move back to school at the end of the month. I have two tanks, ones a 5 gallon with Neocaradina shrimp and the other is a 15 with Cory’s, neons, and shrimp as well as a Java moss, Amazon sword, and Anubias. I am wondering if you have any tips on moving fish. It’s about an hour drive and I have a usb air pump to keep them oxygenated. Just looking for any insight you guys have thanks!

Awesome name btw. If you can, I would move the fish to a bucket with the air pump running. If you can't, keep the tank level low and carry the tank on your lap to help keep it steady on the drive there. Usually after I move fish, I will treat the tank with some stress coat as well as keeping the tank dark while they adjust. As well as giving them a treat, like some blood worms or a snail. hope this helps. 

• Thanks 1

I think the bucket with USB air pump is a great suggestion. If the tank has a small sponge filter, you can use that or a small airstone.

In regards to keeping a glass tank with any amount of water on your lap while driving.....I would not suggest that, for obvious safety purposes. If you are not driving, I suppose it would work, though the bucket will be easier to manage, especially if you have a lid. You can partially fill it (about 1/3), and drop an airline through a small hole in the lid. Then seal the lid, and you should be good to go. An hour is not bad at all. Good luck!

• Thanks 1

I have moved fish a few times, once for a two-day drive. I put them in a 5 gallon bucket rather than in their tanks because I don't want any sudden stops or turns making it so fish were bumping into tank decor and I did not want shifting substrate to muck up their water. 

I would put the fish in a bucket and move the tanks as empty of water as needed to make them easy to carry but keeping the substrate and filter wet. Then get the tanks set up in the new locations, add water and let the dust settle some, then add fish. Keeping the bucket aerated will be nice, too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1